Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Get Your ANSI_NULLs Settings Consistent Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:03 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:41 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Get Your ANSI_NULLs Settings Consistent
Post #854130
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:06 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
An interesting article on an important subject. I would have rated it 5 stars instead of 4 if it had gone further in explaining what might need to be done to fix potential problems - sadly it is not as simple as replacing = NULL with IS NULL.

ANSI_NULLS OFF behaviour is decidedly odd, and often counter-intuitive, no wonder Microsoft are keen to stop supporting it. I have an example of this type of weirdness pending as a Question of the Day (QotD) so I'll just say that one example of weirdness involves IN and NOT IN...

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #854132
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:16 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:09 PM
Good article. I couldn't add anything more than what Paul has already indicated. Maybe a follow-up article on the same subject to go along with that QOD?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #854135
Posted Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:21 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:50 AM
CirquedeSQLeil (1/26/2010)
Good article. I couldn't add anything more than what Paul has already indicated. Maybe a follow-up article on the same subject to go along with that QOD?

Good idea...

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #854144
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:05 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:01 AM
Nice article, just followed your steps on our databases.

Though for general purpose, I'm missing some short explanations on ANSI settings and as you check them in step 2) and it's not only about ANSI NULL.

In step 4) I first was kind of surprised as the sql-statement will find other "= NULL"s, too (e.g. SET @Var = NULL). But it shows a starting point for checking your code automatically and fast.

Best regards
Post #854191
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:57 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I'm happy people are finding some value in the article; I had sent in a rough draft to see if it would be a topic of interest but they published it without asking me to tighten it up. My main purpose for writing the article was to show people how to be able to rip out all ANSI type statements from all their scripts and to never have to think again about any odd behavior of nulls on a per script basis.
Post #854214
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:19 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:09 AM
Most interesting but I have a little query.

Why is it necessary to have a function for comparing nullable ints but not for any other data types? Is there something specific about nullable ints?

Kind regards
Andy
Post #854237
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:53 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

andy.gray (1/27/2010)
Most interesting but I have a little query.

Why is it necessary to have a function for comparing nullable ints but not for any other data types? Is there something specific about nullable ints?

Kind regards
Andy

The need for nullable compares is for all data types. I only have three in place for int, varchar, and datetime types so far for my needs. With a simple find/replace you can generate the others.
Post #854251
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:13 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
I'm probably stirring up a hornet's nest here but I have a problem with the way you are treating nulls. The whole point of null is that the value is undefined so comparing a value and saying they are equal if both are null is not valid. Two columns and/or variables are equal if and only if the values are defined and equal. Code should be aware of nulls and deal with them but not by equating two null values.

Richard
Post #854480
Posted Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:37 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:18 PM
I have been bitten by the IN/NOT IN null before...it's a tough one that had me scratching my head for an hour or so. That would make a good qod.
--Jim
Post #854608
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse