Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Indexes in SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever run up against the 250 index limit in SQL 2005. I can't imagine ever needing that many in our environment.

Perhaps if you have a very wide read-only table I can see it, but even that's a stretch.

Jason Shadonix
MCTS, SQL 2005
Post #849701
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:47 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:53 AM
Apologies to all -- I've now made a correction to the answers so that it applies correctly to SQL Server 2005.

Best,

Tony.
Post #849753
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:24 AM
Tony Davis (1/19/2010)
Apologies to all -- I've now made a correction to the answers so that it applies correctly to SQL Server 2005.

Best,

Tony.

No, Tony. You haven't. :)

SQL Server 2005 allows more than 250 indexes on a single table. Books Online says that you can have a maximum of 1 clustered, 249 nonclustered, and 249 XML indexes per table; I was not able to find the maximum number of full-text indexes per table. (I'm still hoping someone else finds this and posts a link).

So the actual maximum is (499 + (maximum FT indexes per table)).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #849759
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:58 AM
jagadeesanpv (1/18/2010)
I think raj is correct, for 2005 = 250 and 2008 = 1000

Please check this URL for 2005
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188783(SQL.90).aspx

Here is an another link for comparing all versions.

http://www.sql-server-helper.com/sql-server-2005/maximum-capacity-specifications.aspx

SQL DBA.
Post #849768
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:09 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:58 AM
Jason Shadonix (1/19/2010)
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever run up against the 250 index limit in SQL 2005. I can't imagine ever needing that many in our environment.

Perhaps if you have a very wide read-only table I can see it, but even that's a stretch.

Even I want to ask the same question. Had anybody seen these many indexes on a table ? Other question would be if we have these many indexes on a single table then the performance of read / write transaction would be slow or good ?
How about managing space for all these indexes would take if its on a large table ?

Any one please ?

SQL DBA.
Post #849772
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:41 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:16 PM
The question has been updated and does read better now. Unfortunately, Hugo's point is valid - thus making the QOD answers less than accurate.

Maybe a rewording of the question so that it explicitly eliminates FT indexes would be good in making this question better.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #849804
Posted Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:14 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 6:31 PM
How many XML indexes can you have on a table with no XML columns?

To be honest, when asked about number of indexes, unless specifically asked about FTI and XML indexes, I don't even think about them.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #849835
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 12:45 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:08 AM
Hugo Kornelis (1/19/2010)
I was not able to find the maximum number of full-text indexes per table. (I'm still hoping someone else finds this and posts a link).

Here it is: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187317.aspx
CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX (Transact-SQL)
Only one full-text index is allowed per table or indexed view, and each full-text index applies to a single table or indexed view.

Hugo Kornelis (1/19/2010)
So the actual maximum is (499 + (maximum FT indexes per table)).

And it's 500
Post #850265
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:07 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:55 AM
Dear all,

First of all the question was intended to subject Sql 2005 and as there is a mistake the required answer was not supplied to the valueble members, I personally admit my mistake in posting it. But I really surprised to see the same had repeated by our respected administers here too. I request them to keep the reputation high since new comers like me may go wrong while learning things in a right manner. Further all posts from valued members are good enough to keep me in right way to understand my mistake as well as it boosted my spirit too. My hearty thanks to all. I hope the following link can give you further details of the question posted by me.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/06/29/sql-server-maximum-number-of-index-per-table/

Once again thank you all!!

Regards
Post #850997
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:26 PM

SSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 1:16 PM
suresh.theyyath (1/20/2010)
Dear all,

First of all the question was intended to subject Sql 2005 and as there is a mistake the required answer was not supplied to the valueble members, I personally admit my mistake in posting it. But I really surprised to see the same had repeated by our respected administers here too. I request them to keep the reputation high since new comers like me may go wrong while learning things in a right manner. Further all posts from valued members are good enough to keep me in right way to understand my mistake as well as it boosted my spirit too. My hearty thanks to all. I hope the following link can give you further details of the question posted by me.

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/06/29/sql-server-maximum-number-of-index-per-table/

Once again thank you all!!

Regards

Thank you for taking the time to put together a question for the community

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #851007