Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Pre Check List for 64 BIT SQL Server 2008 Cluster Installation Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:57 AM
Thanks for the comment. We do a full scan from another server to our cluster. This AV server will scan all the hard drives attached and is set to skip over the database related files like .MDF, .LDF, etc.

By having this setup, there are no performance hit caused by the AV. If you have your cluster facing the internet for a website then maybe I can see the need. Our servers have been setup so that only the Domain Administrators can connect to the server and/or its drives. All users can only access the data within the databases and nothing more.

Thanks,

Rudy

Post #841595
Posted Monday, January 04, 2010 10:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:07 PM
Ok. I work in a University environment. Our stuff is behind a firewall but certain ports need to be open from external websites to the SQL systems.

I cannot live without some type of real time antivirus solution or we pay the price. We basically do the same thing with file exclusions on real-time protection.

Post #841599
Posted Friday, April 09, 2010 12:28 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 09, 2010 12:25 PM
Your method for defining the pagefile is incorrect and the other poster recommending 0MB pagefile is wrong too. The system's RAM needs PF space to write out old or infrequently used pages in memory. By disabling the PF you prevent this from happening. You also don't want to "fill your disk" with PF space. It should be set to 1.5 times your RAM amount. This was best practice in '95 and still is today. Better yet set it to systemed managed and forget about it.
Post #900762
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 4:35 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:37 AM
It should be set to 1.5 times your RAM amount. This was best practice in '95 and still is today. Better yet set it to system managed and forget about it.

If you are running a 32-bit desktop environment with a small amount of memory this advice may make sense. If you are running a 64-bit machine dedicated to SQL Server and have more than (say) 4GB RAM then this advice wastes resources.

If you are worried about keping a specific size pagefile so you can get a memory dump, two things to consider:
1) Think about how often you get a repeatable system crash and how much time you want to wait while a dump file is written. Also think about how you will export the dump file to Microsoft. If you decide you will never give Microsoft a 48GB dump file then you have no justification for a 48GB pagefile.
2) Look at http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2010/04/02/how-to-use-the-dedicateddumpfile-registry-value-to-overcome-space-limitations-on-the-system-drive-when-capturing-a-system-memory-dump.aspx if you are running W2008 or above.

Mike Russinovich has a good blog about setting Windows memory use, see http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx. Read all of it but look out for the section about pagefile size. I have also seen advice from PSS engineers (but cannot find it now) about the specific situation of using a zero size pagefile.

FWIW, my machine at home has 12GB RAM with W2008 R2 as the main OS running Hyper-V. I run the host and all my guests with zero pagefile and have no crashes or hangs. The guests all seem to run faster than before I made this change, but I have not done tests to quantify this.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 25 March 2014: now over 28,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #901452
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 8:43 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 8:57 AM
Thanks EdVassie for the information and links regarding memory.

It seems to me that this is an area the needs to be looked at a system by systems basis. Not all setting in one company (or server) can be used by other companies or even other servers within the same company.

Just goes to show that a DBA's work is never done.

Rudy

Post #901672
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse