Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Missing green arrow on the sql server icon in object explore Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:34 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 24, 2014 6:52 PM
Hello everyone

I have tried to Google this issue for quite awhile and can't find any definitive solution. Now in my management studio on my workstation, the icon on the server instance is simply a blank white circle with no green arrow in it. I logged on as 'sa' and I can't use right-click the instance icon to select "start", "stop", "pause", "resume" or "restart" because they are all grayed out. But all the rest operations are available.

One of the explanations that I can find online is that in this situation, the management studio can't retrieve the info whether the SQL Server service is running on the server or not. But when I use remote desktop to connect to the server itself, the green arrow is well and fine in the management studio in the remote session.

So can there be any firewall settings on the server that prevent the SQL Server service running state being communicated to my workstation?

Where should I look more into then?

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

Bazinga!
Post #825246
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:37 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:58 AM
In SSMS if you disconnect completely from the server and then put in all the connection details again do you get the same problem or do you get a different error?
Post #825248
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:42 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

I've tried to disconnect and connect object explore and restart the SSMS several times already, nothing works.

Bazinga!
Post #825253
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:03 AM
xnleiden (11/26/2009)
Hello everyone

I have tried to Google this issue for quite awhile and can't find any definitive solution. Now in my management studio on my workstation, the icon on the server instance is simply a blank white circle with no green arrow in it. I logged on as 'sa' and I can't use right-click the instance icon to select "start", "stop", "pause", "resume" or "restart" because they are all grayed out. But all the rest operations are available.

One of the explanations that I can find online is that in this situation, the management studio can't retrieve the info whether the SQL Server service is running on the server or not. But when I use remote desktop to connect to the server itself, the green arrow is well and fine in the management studio in the remote session.

So can there be any firewall settings on the server that prevent the SQL Server service running state being communicated to my workstation?

Where should I look more into then?

Thanks for your inputs in advance!

Is sql browser service running? If yes and you tried everything else then I would reinstall tools.

Alex S
Post #825263
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:22 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:29 PM
it doesnt matter what your connection to the server is in SSMS, its all to do with whether your windows account your using has access to the services information on the server in question. I am assuming this is a remote server on a different domain/DMZ and your windows user cannot access the services to see if its actually running
Post #825301
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:30 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SQL Server Browser service is running.

Bazinga!
Post #825319
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:32 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

The workstation I used to connection to the SQL Server is in the same LAN in the same domain. I actually tried both windows account and the 'sa' account, either works in the regard of having the green arrow displayed after successful connection.

Bazinga!
Post #825321
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:02 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:27 AM
I have seen this when working with SSMS and connecting to SQL 2000 Servers mostly, with other SQL 2005 Servers it would be normal.

What is the issue you want to solve?

You want the start/ stop/ restart options to be available / enabled or the Green Icon to appear.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.com\LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty
Post #825329
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:04 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Yes, I do want the grayed out function to be available again.

Bru Medishetty (11/26/2009)
I have seen this when working with SSMS and connecting to SQL 2000 Servers mostly, with other SQL 2005 Servers it would be normal.

What is the issue you want to solve?

You want the start/ stop/ restart options to be available / enabled or the Green Icon to appear.

Bazinga!
Post #825330
Posted Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:15 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:27 AM
When you login from your workstation, login details you are providing (Windows or SQL), it needs to have sysadmin Server Role Permissions on that server.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.com\LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty
Post #825331
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse