Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Easy Licenses Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:50 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:02 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Easy Licenses

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #821352
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:34 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
What a scary concept, giving visibility into how many distinct users are actually connecting.. My god, you might license near the correct number and not over pay..

I see it costing companies licensing revenue so they would resist it.. FUD is a good way to force you over-license..

CEWII
Post #821376
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 1:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, February 25, 2011 3:18 AM
Or the developers could implement a service-hosted data access layer, meaning that all connections to SQL Server come through one account. 1 user == 1 CAL, irrespective of how many real life users connect to that service!
Post #821392
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:11 PM
lokkers (11/19/2009)
Or the developers could implement a service-hosted data access layer, meaning that all connections to SQL Server come through one account. 1 user == 1 CAL, irrespective of how many real life users connect to that service!
I seem to remember something from the license precludes that method..

CEWII
Post #821593
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:05 AM
For a 100 person company, i think you're missing a zero, it'd be $16,200 for licensing CALs wouldn't it?
Post #821606
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:36 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 10:16 AM
This is a great idea, and I would like to see (and use) such an utility too !
Post #821611
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:02 PM
Using an app the mutliplexes means you still must license all clients. It's not just the one connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing-faq.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #821617
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 7:40 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:01 AM
A number of our enterprise applications use the Flexlm system. It automatically manages license counts, users can come and go (some applications even allow a user to 'check out' a license for use while travelling), administration is really quite straightforward.

I would like to see MS do that (as an open system, so that other vendors can also use it for their products)

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #821618
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:18 AM
Don't many companies, including MS, license by user requests even if they go through one unique user?
EG: you many have 1000 users accessing SQL Server through one account.
Post #821672
Posted Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:54 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Easy enough to have a trace that grabs the host data for the connection, and then dump that into a table for analysis.

Would probably want to use events 14 and 17, columns 6, 7, 8, 11. (sp_trace_setevent)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #821693
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse