Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Data Import Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:37 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Import

Post #817609
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:07 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:08 AM
I would be interested in knowing what the so-called JCL limitation is. With over 20 years mainframe experience it would be a new one for me (unless it is a limitation in the user's knowledge of JCL, I have seen that one before...).

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #817729
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, July 19, 2013 9:58 AM
good q
Post #817742
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:10 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 7:50 AM
I too have well over 10 years experience on mainframe, mainly cobol and db2 on z/os. limitations could be put in place for numerous reasons, including, inter alia, the transport mechanism used to move the files (e.g. x'com), network restrictions and, as stated, user (lack of) knowledge.
however, the mention of "jcl limitations" is just incidental to the actual question, i.e. the most effective and efficient way to import the data and populate an SSAS cube.

Post #817761
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:14 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:08 AM
Agreed. The main point of the question is about how to import a number of files.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #817765
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:15 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, May 24, 2013 5:20 AM
Excellent question, stewartc, thank you!

I wish you had set this question a long time ago, this could have saved some people some work... How did this slip under my radar?

--------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. -Douglas Adams
Post #817767
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:15 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 12:21 PM
I second Ed Vassie's question on the supposed JCL limitation.

I got the answer right, only because the category was SSIS and I figured that one of those two answers must be the one being driven for. However, SSIS is NEVER the most "efficient" solution. I'm sure there is a much more efficient solution using BCP or Bulk Insert (not with a cursor, that was an obvious bad answer), perhaps using CLR stored procedure, or perhaps concatenating the files before the BCP operation.

Mark
Post #817768
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:29 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 12:08 PM
Nice question! I didn't know a connections such as MULTIFLATFILE existed. I typically did what was suggested in the second answer. Thanks!

Post #817774
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:31 AM
Hall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:30 AM
I agree, nice question. I learned something new today and that is the point.
Post #817884
Posted Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:42 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 8:13 AM
WOW i always used the for each loop to process files and never knew about multiflatfile feature.
Good one.
Thank you

Alex S
Post #817895
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse