Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Substring comprehension Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, June 18, 2011 9:19 AM
A empty not null. Substring returns null only if expression is null.
Post #815261
Posted Monday, November 9, 2009 10:53 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 2:02 PM
Toby White (11/2/2009)
Even though A is empty string versus Null the answer is still obvious given that it is multiple choice. In other words it was obvious that the author had just made a mistake between empty/null since options A and C were so far off.

So...
Always assume that there is a right answer, and if none of the above is not shown, try and figure out which answer would be right assuming the author made a mistake.
Don't like this logic at all. It may result in your passing the test, but it requires you to try and figure out what the author "meant" the answers to be.
I used logic that went like this... if you know two of the answers are wrong, go with the one that might be right (i.e. error). Of course my "logic" failed and yours succeeded, this time.

Have Fun!

Ronzo

Post #815966
Posted Friday, November 13, 2009 2:01 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:50 PM
As some previous commenters did, I got this right by guessing what the questioner had got wrong.

Tom
Post #818886
Posted Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:13 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:04 AM
Toby White (11/2/2009)
Even though A is empty string versus Null the answer is still obvious given that it is multiple choice. In other words it was obvious that the author had just made a mistake between empty/null since options A and C were so far off.

Except that A is not so far off. I thought along this line: this first select returns the empty string, I don't know what the second one does, but no answer has "this first select returns the empty string", so the only compatible answer is A: error.

Not nice.
Post #820811
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse