Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

A True SQL OS Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:31 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item A True SQL OS

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #777233
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:45 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:23 AM
I would love to see a core OS install running SQL Server. There are still many times when apps on the SQL Server would be necessary likewise there other reasons to not implement a core only model. It really depends how granular of an implementation a person wantseeds.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx -- "SQL Server 2008 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core installations."

Unfortunately SQL Server 2008 is not compatible with the Windows Server 2008 Core only installation. Maybe it is part of MS long term upgrade strategy.
Post #777430
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:40 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:47 AM
Steve,

You say they won't do this due to a loss of revenue from selling fewer Windows licences.
Surely Micro$oft will just charge more for this 'SQL OS' to make up the difference.

Nigel

--
Nigel
Useful Links:
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table - Jeff Moden

Post #777483
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:53 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 1:34 PM
I like the idea of a stripped down version of Windows for this purpose more than the idea of SQL Server having to support hardware drivers, Active Directory, booting, internet connectivity (even if just for SQL Server updates to be downloaded), network connectivity (SQL Server doesn't contain the TCP/IP protocols, NIC drivers, etc., because Windows does that for it), and so on.

A version of Windows Server specialized for SQL Server and nothing else might be a good idea. But then Microsoft has to include support, upgrade and new version paths, etc., for it, and that might just add to expenses. If it would be a viable product, then it would be nice.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #777506
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:04 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, October 14, 2013 11:27 AM
It is a great Idea! When a automobile company designs a car, or developers design an application. They focus on the capabilities they want to include. Then they can optimize the product to get the best performance. I Liken Installing SQL Server on a server to hitching a trailer on the family car. The trailer works fine and the job gets done, but If you were using the family car and the attached trailer every day, how long would it be before you were wishing you had a truck. The truck could be the perfect size, with a suspension and engine matched to your particular need. Sure it wouldn't do everything the family car did, but it would haul stuff better than the family car. You would probably have both parked in your driveway.
Post #777515
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:50 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:31 PM
I like the car analogy!

And I hope they don't start charging more for SQL without Windows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #777564
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:01 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:19 AM
Question: How would this effect features of SQL Server which interact with other windows-dependent features such as CLR? I know we've had discussions on this forum as to whether SQL Server really benefits from the addition of CLR, but since it's there, it seems like a lot of Windows functionality is going to be potentially called.

Post #777580
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:45 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, March 17, 2014 4:32 PM
a database / os hybrid? You've just invented an AS/400!
Post #777663
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:51 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 02, 2009 8:46 AM
"Windows I/O and scheduling could be tuned specifically for SQL Server, or just incorporated into the SQL Server platform."

I'm afraid if you incorporated these into SQL Server you would quickly have the functionality diverge from the base OS source, which could in the long run lead to strange consequences. I've seen code which was copied from a legacy system mutate so fast in the space of the year that the original designer could not figure out why it would no longer work in the new system.
Post #777669
Posted Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:54 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:02 PM
Robert Hermsen (8/26/2009)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx -- "SQL Server 2008 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core installations."

Unfortunately SQL Server 2008 is not compatible with the Windows Server 2008 Core only installation. Maybe it is part of MS long term upgrade strategy.

That specifically says "not supported". In MS-ese that is not the same as "not compatible". I'd guess this stems from the fact that .NET is required for SQL to install. Initially, .NET was not supported under Core installations either. But I think this might have changed: http://blogs.technet.com/server_core/archive/2008/12/19/net-3-0-and-3-5-in-windows-server-2008-r2-server-core.aspx
Post #777716
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse