Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSRS open file instead of url within a report Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:25 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, February 28, 2014 1:34 PM
I have a SSRS report that displays one field that contains a filename. I have been asked if it is possible to have a user click on that filename within the SSRS report and have it launch the text file? I have looked through a couple of SSRS books and Google searched and I haven't come up with anything yet. So if you know a way to make this happen, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sherri
Post #773852
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:31 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:01 AM
Ok, I dragged a textbox onto one of my existing reports and captured "C:\MyFile.txt" in it.
Then I created the file itself on my C:. In the file I put "asdf" and saved it.
I then went into the properties of the textbox itself and next to the Action setting I clicked on the ellipses.
This opens up a window that asks you what action you want to do.
I ticked, "Jump to URL" and inside the textbox typed in ="C:\myFile.txt".
I then uploaded the report to our dev website. When I clicked on the link nothing happened.
But I was able to right click and "save target as...".
I saved the target file to my desktop, and when I opened it it had "asdf" in it.

So, I know it's linking to the right file, I just don't know why I wasn't able to open it in my browser. Maybe someone can help us with that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Struggling to find the question?
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
Post #774021
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:11 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Thanks for giving it a shot. Hopefully someone else has made it work and can give steps for the rest of us.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to figure it out.
Post #774175
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:49 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 12:58 PM
Check out the response from DevDells on Sep 19, 2008 from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/43385efd-b4ff-41ef-b24b-da911c155936

Basically, you need to create a share with the folder where your file will reside, and your Jump to URL will be in the following format:
http://ServerName/share/filename.txt

To create the share, right-click the folder name and go to the properties. Make sure you enable Web Sharing, as well.

Hope that helps.
-Marianne
Post #774455
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009 3:04 PM
Valued Member

Thanks Marianne, I will give that a try.
Post #774617
Posted Saturday, May 29, 2010 7:34 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:43 PM
Hi,

I have same Exact Requirment like you in SSRS 2005.

Did you got any solution ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks.
Post #930095
Posted Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:38 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:12 PM
Hi,

I too have a similar requirement but it seems that it's not feasible.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/43385efd-b4ff-41ef-b24b-da911c155936/displaying-a-word-document-via-reporting-services?forum=sqlreportingservices
Post #1519740
Posted Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:20 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:12 PM
Creating an hyperlink (Navigation - Jump to URL) for a pdf file worked for me. Below is the expression I used:

="file:\\fileserver\plant\Certificates\ICR_AER0190_01.pdf"
Post #1519771
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse