Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Your Thoughts on ORM Tools Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
As far as experienced DBAs, we have had Brad look to tune things. The problem is the ORM layer isn't "tuneable" in that we can't specify the queries in some places. The ORM handles that and it creates it's own SQL. In places we have rewritten queries that improve performance, but in other places the framework is buckling a touch under load.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #766917
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 7:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:22 AM
This is a legacy database, what is this strange "SCOPE_IDENTYTY()" that you speak of? When I got here three years ago there were no keys.

Scope_Identity returns the last value of your Identity key which may include gaps if there are deletes and aborted transactions.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190315.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #766941
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 8:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:45 AM
@Grant: Ouch. That doesn't sound nice at all!

@Steve: While I was jokingly referring to you with that remark (surely the head of any SQLServer site MUST be an experienced DBA?), it is nice to know what's going on behind the scenes here. How long did it take to write with nHibernate? How long do you think it would've taken without it?

@Gift: Thanks Gift, but I was trying to emphasize that the database was a legacy (SQL2000) database and so "SCOPE_IDENTYTY()" wasn't available (AFAIK...) We're now on SQL2005 so things are a bit better now.

Post #766976
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 8:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

@Gift: Thanks Gift, but I was trying to emphasize that the database was a legacy (SQL2000) database and so "SCOPE_IDENTYTY()" wasn't available (AFAIK...) We're now on SQL2005 so things are a bit better now.

Actually there was Scope_Identity in 2000 may be your application just did not use it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa259185(SQL.80).aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #766990
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 8:41 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:45 AM
Thanks Gift, I didn't know that.
Post #766998
Posted Friday, August 7, 2009 9:29 AM
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the feedback and glad I could help.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #767036
Posted Friday, August 14, 2009 6:26 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:19 AM
Well, just to add my penny's worth... Here we use Castle ActiveRecord (which is actually a wrapper around NHibernate, it just allows declarative syntax rather than having to write XML files).
Personally I really like from a developer's point of view, but it doesn't support SPs which makes it harder to customise things and also leads to unnecessary data being loaded, etc... As a result of this I have now built a simple ORM which supports stored procedures, and gives me the best of both worlds.

As has been mentioned already, I do think ORM tools have a place in development, but they are not a fix-all solution - I know of people who use them because they can't write TSQL at all!!!!
IMHO there is no substitute for a well-written SP layer which then goes through to a lovely set of entity classes... the best of both worlds!!

I have some code I could pass on, PM me if you want to take a look (Warning - It's very simple, with no relationship support but it does what I want it to do!)

Regards,
S Armondi
Post #770836
Posted Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:58 AM
charlesmartinez276 (12/5/2012)
ORM positive tools is required develop with SQL feathered.I think it is a effective a lot.

SPAM reported.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1393483
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse