Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Saving Time with Proactive DBA Monitoring Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:22 AM
An easier way to distribute monitoring jobs is to use the master and target feature that way you can implement all your jobs or maintenance plans on a central server which then distributes and controls the jobs even holding the logs centrally and this way you are gurenteed that all monitoring jobs on each server are exactly the same so no inconsistencies creep in.
Post #757175
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:11 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, October 7, 2013 9:29 AM
I have already implemented such a design in my place. I believe much better to achieve the same is using the powershell, where you no need to create the linked server, as linked servers sometime can cause performance issues. Powershell is the best way to achieve the same.

Post #757205
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:21 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Is that only in SQL 2008 though? It would interesting to hear more about this, there seems to be so many different ways now, especially with 2008, to administer SQL accross a few servers that it's really becoming an art in itself, which one is best? I've tried several different approaches but am still unsure that my master target method in 2005 is the best, it's certainly best for keeping it consistent but what is more efficient?
Post #757210
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:35 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

No need to have 2008. We can install on one server and can remotely access the data from the client server.
Post #757215
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:39 AM

SSC-Addicted

here is one link

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/why-this-sql-server-dba-is-learning-powershell/
Post #757217
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:41 AM

SSC-Addicted

Using the linked server concept, we also need to load the ole's in sql server to get the clients disk space data. using the power shell, its quite simple.

Post #757219
Posted Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I read the article and it was very useful, some of the things like running queries accross multiple servers can now be done in SQL 2008 and some of the other tasks I could think of better ways to retrieve the information like disk space but for finding out Windows information I should think this is very useful, if I can't get our monitoring tool to pick up information from the event viewer I will look into this as a way of getting this.
Post #757438
Posted Monday, July 27, 2009 4:46 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 9:01 AM
I have done a similar thing with SSIS, you just need to add the new monitored instance into a table in your repository and ensure the account running the package has permission on the target Instances. I then have 3 packages, one that runs stat's daily, one that runs hourly and one that checks status, agent heart beat, PLE etc every 5 minutes. I then have a aspx page looking at the repository for status info and some reporting services reports pulling of trend graphs etc.

I beleive i got the original SSIS packages from a feature on this site and modified it to add more metrics and update the code for SQL 2008 instances.

Cheers, Paul
Post #759956
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse