Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Independence Day Ruckus Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Independence Day Ruckus
Post #746872
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 5:31 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:36 AM
A bit ironic that the author is "exiled in the UK", but seems to have no comment about the whole freedom, independence, and patriotism thing. It's all about the ruckus - playing with the explosives.

But I'm not being judgemental, just observing

Happy 4th to all!

Regards, Mike
Post #746932
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 5:51 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:45 AM
Sorry, but the author should probably get a clue as to what Independence Day is really all about. It's amazing how many people just take for granted the freedoms we enjoy and the people that sacrificed everything they had to give it to us.
Post #746941
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 6:10 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, February 02, 2014 1:20 PM
Unfortunately, this guest "editor" has chosen to waste this opportunity to speak to a wide audience by displaying his ignorance of history. However, there is a silver lining in that, to which I will return in a moment.

First, I'd like to suggest the "editor" obtain a history book and read the part which describes how this poem, which later was set to music, came to be. Here's a hint: the words were inspired by the sight of the US flag still flying over a US installation after an all-night bombardment by a British force. ( i.e. British rockets and bombs falling on US soil. Get it?)

Ironically, one of the great things celebrated by the US National Anthem is that the US is "the land of the free". That means, at least in part, every one of us has the right to make any sort of silly, sophomoric, statements we choose.

And that in turn, I suppose, is the real meaning of this "editor's" words. They are a living illustration of the proposition that we are all free to express our thoughts, however juvenile they may be.

Post #746951
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 7:40 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, April 23, 2012 2:48 PM
I was one of those that did not get to play with fireworks as a child because they were not legal in my county. But I sure did enjoy seeing all the flags, the fireworks at the county fair, and being reminded often of the sacrifices by our fore-fathers in the creation of this marvelous experiment called the United States of America. Maybe it is his exiled status in the UK, but when I was in the UK for only 3 days, and when I was in Brazil for 11 days, how much I enjoyed the privilege of being a citizen of the USA. For me, the fourth of July is MUCH more than exploding a few firecrackers. It really is remembering that I was fortunate to be born in the land of the free, and the home of the brave!

Vic
www.vicrauch.com
Post #746992
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 10:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 2:51 PM
I'm the mirror image of Brian Donahue - a Brit "exiled" in the US.

On 4 July, my family and I observe the loss of the American colonies by wearing black and going into mourning.

No, not really. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The US and the UK - by taking their respective and different roads - have met together at the same place: free, open, and divers societies. Our peoples are friends and allies, sharing the same values, dreams and goals - despite our ways, and even our "common" English language, sometimes being mutually incomprehensible.

At no time since before the American Revolution have our two nations been closer. And never have our destinies been more conjoined.

It is the sharing of those great democratic values, and of the hopes for our future success together, which I happily celebrate on 4 July.

God Bless America. God Save the Queen.
Post #747053
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 10:31 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:36 AM
Well said, sir!

Regards, Mike
Post #747056
Posted Friday, July 03, 2009 1:46 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 02, 2009 8:46 AM
It seems appropriate to quote the whole of the original poem:

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
Post #747094
Posted Saturday, July 04, 2009 5:28 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 11:26 AM
Actually, quite a lot of British celebrate Independence day. We have American relatives, some of us are Americans, and are really happy to celebrate an occasion that anyone can appreciate: a nation becoming independent. I certainly have broken open a bottle of bubbly today to raise a toast to 'the land of the free and the home of the brave'. I can't say that all my family was around me to celebrate as half of them have actually flown over to the States to celebrate the occasion!

I liked Brian's recall of his happy childhood memories of of family celebrations of Independence Day. Even when we've grown to a mature understanding of what such holidays really represent, the first childhood joy of a special day remains in the memory. Like, in a way, other celebrations such as Christmas and Easter. I suspect that this becomes more poignant for an Ex-pat.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #747189
Posted Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:23 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:08 AM
I was disapointed at Brians comment of the "joyfully recounting "rocket's red glare" and "bombs in the air". " This event was not some trivial fireworks display, but a battle to thwart the British invasion.
Post #747226
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse