Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

compatability level Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:48 AM
Thanks Gail.

So, it seems reasonable to assume that the next SQL version after SQL2008 will drop support for 2000 compatibility.
Post #892986
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:44 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 2:26 PM
I have just came across this compatibility issue in my new company. The original DB was created SQL 7. or compatibility 70

My question is if there isn't any issues with there code, would it be an issue to raise the compatibility level to the current version we are running 2008 r2?

I went back to my new boss and he said this note below. I wanted to know if this is true or not as this is the first time I have came across this type of issue

"when transitioning to SQL 2005 that if the database was created in earlier versions it would never truly reach the latter compatibility level unless the database was natively created with that version"

Basically raising the compatibility level will I be able to use most of the new functionality in the newer versions that we have upgraded to? Thanks
Post #1358071
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:58 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
D-SQL (9/12/2012)
"when transitioning to SQL 2005 that if the database was created in earlier versions it would never truly reach the latter compatibility level unless the database was natively created with that version"

That is not correct.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1358086
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:08 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 2:26 PM
Ok Thanks I will move to raise the level so I can use the new functionality. Thanks for your help
Post #1358095
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:17 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:14 AM
You can use most of the new functionality without raising the compat level. Compat level's about preserving old behaviour, not preventing new.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1358100
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse