Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ABCD... of Oracle Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:29 AM
Hi,

I am a sql server developer/DBA. I am interested to learn Oracle from begining. Can anybody pls guide on this path.

Thanks,
Vj
Post #741714
Posted Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:59 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
There are three ways to get started, they are: formal training, self training and on-the-job training.

1) Formal training, you know what I mean.

2) Go to www.oracle.com, download Oracle sofware, install it and start practicing e.g. build your own lab. Oracle documentation is pretty clear and, it's for free!

3) Find a job in a SQL Server / Oracle shop and ask your new boss to involve you in Oracle.

Godspeed!

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #742015
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:08 AM
thanks for the suggestion. Will start with [2] and see how far I can go.
Post #753297
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:16 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

vijay1327 (7/15/2009)

That's a good starting point.
Once you have your lab in place try to replicate what you do in SQL Server.

At that point you may want to register in a good Oracle forum like http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20; also for free; not just to ask questions but also to browse and see what are the problems an Oracle pro faces in a day-by-day basis.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #753494
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:27 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
vijay1327 (6/25/2009)
Hi,

I am a sql server developer/DBA. I am interested to learn Oracle from begining. Can anybody pls guide on this path.

Thanks,
Vj

In that case, you cannot fault Oracle's documentation.

Here is my suggested reading list:
* The Oracle documentation list is found here.
* Start with the Oracle Concepts document.
* Do the Oracle 2 day DBA course next
* The performance tuning guide is pretty good, but I've only just started reading this myself.

This is really one of those times when I can definitely say that Oracle comes out ahead of Microsoft, even though Microsoft's BOL is also excellent and quite comprehensive.

Random Technical Stuff
Post #754284
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:35 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, July 3, 2011 7:09 AM
PaulB (7/15/2009)
vijay1327 (7/15/2009)

That's a good starting point.
Once you have your lab in place try to replicate what you do in SQL Server.

At that point you may want to register in a good Oracle forum like http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20; also for free; not just to ask questions but also to browse and see what are the problems an Oracle pro faces in a day-by-day basis.

Ha! It's funny that their sticky notes deal with exactly the same sort of problems that SQL Server Central contributors face

Random Technical Stuff
Post #754290
Posted Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:02 AM

Hall of Fame

ta.bu.shi.da.yu (7/16/2009)Ha! It's funny that their sticky notes deal with exactly the same sort of problems that SQL Server Central contributors face

Forums are always formus and people are always people ... same issues no matter the subject matter

Post #754365
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse