Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Windows account Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 3, 2013 1:52 PM
Hello -
I was on an interview recently and was asked "what is the difference between a Windows account and a Unix account?"

Since SQL Server runs on Windows, I am hoping for a response from the Windows side but if someone can provide a response from the Unix side also, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Post #741122
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:22 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 10:27 AM
generally if you are asked about that in a SQL server interview/exam you would be expected to know that unix users would need a sql login whereas windows users can use windows authentication.

I dont think there would be any correct answer to "what is a windows account?"
Post #741136
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:11 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, May 3, 2013 1:52 PM
Thanks ...

Further, the interview was not only for SQL server position but for an IT Infrastructure position with strong database experience.

The question was not "What is a Windows account" but rather to explain the difference between a Windows account and a Unix account. I think that your response about the use of Windows authentication is correct. I am not sure if there is more to it.
Post #741310
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse