Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Deploying Databases From Visual Studio Team System Database Edition Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:22 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Deploying Databases From Visual Studio Team System Database Edition

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #738994
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:20 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:56 AM
- Be sure to add GDR R2 to your vstedba (datadude) because it adds some nice db-features.
( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bb3ad767-5f69-4db9-b1c9-8f55759846ed )

FYI: The Datadude's lair: http://blogs.msdn.com/gertd/default.aspx

I'm not yet a user, but I think if you get the grip, you'll be hooked in a positive way

There's more to datadude than only the schema !

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #740959
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:21 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:23 PM
Nice article Grant.

I'm still not the best friend of SQL integration in Visual Studio but I think the new database projects become better and better and it seems to be a good way to maintain base structure. Anyway I hope it will become better in Visual Studio 2010 and/or SQL Server 2011...

Thanks

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Post #740961
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:56 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

ALZDBA (6/24/2009)
- Be sure to add GDR R2 to your vstedba (datadude) because it adds some nice db-features.
( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=bb3ad767-5f69-4db9-b1c9-8f55759846ed )

FYI: The Datadude's lair: http://blogs.msdn.com/gertd/default.aspx

I'm not yet a user, but I think if you get the grip, you'll be hooked in a positive way

There's more to datadude than only the schema !

Absolutely. The R2 release of GDR is a must. The GDR itself created the situation that allows the compound projects to work. The R2 release ironed out a lot of bugs.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
and

Post #740995
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:57 AM

SSChampion

Florian Reischl (6/24/2009)
Nice article Grant.

I'm still not the best friend of SQL integration in Visual Studio but I think the new database projects become better and better and it seems to be a good way to maintain base structure. Anyway I hope it will become better in Visual Studio 2010 and/or SQL Server 2011...

Thanks

Thanks Flo. I think there's nothing but improvements on the horizon for this. One thing that will cause... friction, is that in 2010, it's no longer a seperate product, but built right into the Developers Edition of Visual Studio Team System.

The Scary DBA
Author of:
and

Post #740998
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:59 AM

SSChampion

In addition to Gert's blog, Barclay Hill is posting on best practices with VSTS:DBE. It's worth a read. http://blogs.msdn.com/bahill/default.aspx

The Scary DBA
Author of:
and

Post #741002
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:14 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:58 PM
Grant,

What do I need Active solution configuration and Active solution platform for?
This is a database project, not a C# one, so why am I exposed to and maybe even allowed to select Any CPU/x86/64 at all? These settings are completely irrelevant to my database development, are they not?

How does creating a server project speed up my development?
Could it be faster not to create it at all?
Post #741264
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:39 PM

SSChampion

Alexander Kuznetsov (6/24/2009)
Grant,

This is a database project, not a C# one, so why am I exposed to and maybe even allowed to select Any CPU/x86/64 at all? These settings are completely irrelevant to my database development, are they not?

Yes, the CPU is irrelevant to your project (although I've never tried switching it). But the configuration works to allow you to set up environments and have the settings change on projects to match the environments.

Creating a server project doesn't speed or slow your development. It acts as a placehoder for server level objects, such as Logins. When you make a compound project using the server project, you can then create users that map to logins without errors within the project. Otherwise, if you try to map users to logins, you will get errors.

The Scary DBA
Author of:
and

Post #741281
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:19 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:58 PM
Grant Fritchey (6/24/2009)
Grant,

Yes, the CPU is irrelevant to your project (although I've never tried switching it). But the configuration works to allow you to set up environments and have the settings change on projects to match the environments.

I guess I know how and why configuration works, but IMO it is completely irrelevant so it shouldn't be there at all. Why do I need to waste my time to "have the settings change on projects to match the environments." Who cares?

Creating a server project doesn't speed or slow your development. It acts as a placehoder for server level objects, such as Logins. When you make a compound project using the server project, you can then create users that map to logins without errors within the project. Otherwise, if you try to map users to logins, you will get errors.

Well as a database developer I don't know and I don't need to know what the logins are, at least in the environment I work for. I create roles and grant permissions to them, and that's it, and that ends at the database level. Having to create a server project that I don't need seems to be a waste of time.
Having an unnecessary project sit in my solution is an even bigger waste of time, as it clutters my screen, slows down my searches, check ins, check outs etc.

Am I missing something?
Post #741318
Posted Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:27 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:23 PM
I guess I know how and why configuration works, but IMO it is completely irrelevant so it shouldn't be there at all. Why do I need to waste my time to "have the settings change on projects to match the environments." Who cares?

Me
Since this project types are usually used for SQL Server 2005 or later the CPU configuration becomes really important if you start to develop CLR modules for your database. Maybe this information is a missing part but the configuration is not irrelevant in my opinion.

The more I learn, the more I know what I do not know
Blog: Things about Software Architecture, .NET development and T-SQL

How to Post Data/Code to get the best Help How to Post Performance Problems
Post #741327
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse