Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Custom Maintenance Plans - the T-SQL way Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 2:54 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Custom Maintenance Plans - the T-SQL way
Post #722745
Posted Monday, June 8, 2009 5:04 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 31, 2010 4:47 AM
Very very nice one Mark!
It's very usefull if you have large number of db.
How can we get the DB_Mail script?

Thanks,
C
Post #731031
Posted Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:34 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:14 AM
Mark,

Very useful and effective article. Can you share the CustomMP_WithDBMail.sql file to my mail id which I mentioned below?

jeykumar.net@gmail.com

Regards,
Jey
Post #731382
Posted Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:42 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

For everyone's convenience, the SQL scripts and documentation is attached to this post.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Mark

Post Attachments 
Custom Maintenance Plans.zip (35 views, 27.61 KB)
Post #735718
Posted Sunday, June 21, 2009 2:25 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:22 AM
Hi Mark,

why did you prefer custom maintenance plans over custom SQL scripts? (Yes it is a very interesting solution you showed up! - thx!)
I've seen so many bugs in maintenance plans so I prefer not to use them. The most recent bug I've seen was, that it was correctly scheduled (at night) but was executed at a complete other time (mostly during business hours) :-(
I could not believe it - but I've it seen 1 month ago! With T-SQL scripts I had never such errors (for more than 10 years now)

Ralf
Post #739111
Posted Monday, June 29, 2009 2:02 PM

SSC Veteran

Ralf Dietrich (6/21/2009)
Hi Mark,

why did you prefer custom maintenance plans over custom SQL scripts? (Yes it is a very interesting solution you showed up! - thx!)
I've seen so many bugs in maintenance plans so I prefer not to use them. The most recent bug I've seen was, that it was correctly scheduled (at night) but was executed at a complete other time (mostly during business hours) :-(
I could not believe it - but I've it seen 1 month ago! With T-SQL scripts I had never such errors (for more than 10 years now)

Ralf

Ralf:

Like you, I have seen many bugs/idiosyncrasies in Maintenance Plans over the years. To this point, I dealt with them.

In this particular case, necessity being the mother of invention, I needed to perform all of the standard MP steps, but needed to do it for a certain, fluid subset of 3rd party databases over which I have no control.

I used the exact SQL commands that the native plans use for consistency's sake. Of course, you can perform your steps hoever you like, but I wanted to create a good starting point.

Hope that answers your question!

MJM
Post #743935
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse