Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

All-Access Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
Not sure how long we've been able to export to PDF from ER/Studio, but I don't think it worked well in the 99/'00 timeframe. The other issue is that you get into version issues with files as people store them in their machine, open the wrong one, etc.

I've always found a nice big diagram on a wall was the best reference. You can supplement it with a PDF or HTML, but a good central, easy to read point of reference is good.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #705203
Posted Monday, April 27, 2009 12:40 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Licensing is a pain, and it's hard. Good to see that Bob is building a better license, working with customers. I'd like to see more of that with vendors, and not just some negotiation over price.

Negotiate to ensure the client gets their needs met.

Post #705215
Posted Monday, April 27, 2009 12:53 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 1:53 PM
Well, the PDF option isn't really a good one for me. Our ERD's are a little too big to be easily readable in that format without some serious taping. The HTML option has been around for some time, though. I don't know if it was in the releases ~ 1999/2000, but if not it was pretty close to that point.

As for the licensing, I'd much prefer a concurrent user type licensing for the most part for tools like this. We just don't have that many people who are going to access them regularly. However, that is a significant cost increase over the single-user/pc license. I may need to check out the all-access license to see what the differences are. That may be worth it for us.

Post #705232
Posted Monday, April 27, 2009 1:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

Supposedly the All-Access is slightly above the cost of 2 tools. What that means, I'm not sure, but check it out.

Post #705305
Posted Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:04 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:57 PM
The All Access license comes in many flavours.

One of the other benefits of this license scheme is the concept of InstantOn. With InstantOn, you can, if you want, run the software from a thumbdrive. No install required. So not only do you not have to deal with licensing hoops, you don't have to deal with which version of the software is installed on which machine issues.

Not all the Embarcadero products are InstantOn yet, but many are.

Karen
Post #705760
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse