Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789

interview questions Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:42 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:09 PM
awesome reply alivn

from my point of view ithnk so if not please correct ----any one can suggest me------
coz inthis sort of scenarios only u will have two options
1. as mentioned by alivn
2. think for the solutions sort-out in parallel consult ur senior dba and windows team also
[1.check the error logs in sqlserver and event-viewer
2. check the disk-space issues
3.what ever the high availability it is running on first check ur sqlserver services running or not --- if not restart the services which takes min 15mins downtime.
2. restore the full backup or point in time restore (tlogbackup .trns )]

sorry if any wrong ideas shared am not highly experienced iam starter in this domain

Thanks & Regards
NAGA.ROHITKUMAR
Post #1387258
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:38 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:13 PM
naga.rohitkumar (11/21/2012)
awesome reply alivn

from my point of view ithnk so if not please correct ----any one can suggest me------
coz inthis sort of scenarios only u will have two options
1. as mentioned by alivn
2. think for the solutions sort-out in parallel consult ur senior dba and windows team also
[1.check the error logs in sqlserver and event-viewer
2. check the disk-space issues
3.what ever the high availability it is running on first check ur sqlserver services running or not --- if not restart the services which takes min 15mins downtime.
2. restore the full backup or point in time restore (tlogbackup .trns )]

sorry if any wrong ideas shared am not highly experienced iam starter in this domain

I'm not sure who you are replying to and so I'm not sure which question you're trying to answer but bouncing the server should be an almost last resort and doing a restore is the absolute last resort. Whenever you do a restore, some data is lost and you might not be able to get it back especially if you don't have the room to keep the original and the restored database active at the same time.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1387379
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:27 AM
Alvin Ramard (4/17/2009)
Nicholas Cain (4/17/2009)
Here's my personal favourite to spring:

It's 3pm on a Friday, your production OLTP environment is down, every hour down costs the company one million dollars. People are phoning constantly, folks are rushing the hallways, running into your work area and freaking out wanting to know what you are doing, and why it's not fixed yet.
What do you do?

That separates the men from the boys (or women from the girls)

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook, and GET TO WORK!!!!

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook...

from another side of the room!
Go to the nearest pub and enjoy pint or two thinking that they cost your employer a million dollar.
Why that?
At least you will be able to tell you grandchildren that you have drunk a million-dollar beer

How to post your question to get the best and quick help
Post #1387385
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Eugene Elutin (11/21/2012)
Alvin Ramard (4/17/2009)
Nicholas Cain (4/17/2009)
Here's my personal favourite to spring:

It's 3pm on a Friday, your production OLTP environment is down, every hour down costs the company one million dollars. People are phoning constantly, folks are rushing the hallways, running into your work area and freaking out wanting to know what you are doing, and why it's not fixed yet.
What do you do?

That separates the men from the boys (or women from the girls)

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook, and GET TO WORK!!!!

Lock the door, take the phone off the hook...

from another side of the room!
Go to the nearest pub and enjoy pint or two thinking that they cost your employer a million dollar.
Why that?
At least you will be able to tell you grandchildren that you have drunk a million-dollar beer

My initial respose to such a question would be "Obviously, the managers that are panicing in such a fashion should have been made to answer the same question correctly before THEY were hired."

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
Post #1387427
Posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:20 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:09 PM
i replied to alivn

Thanks & Regards
NAGA.ROHITKUMAR
Post #1387691
Posted Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 16, 2014 2:58 PM
Great point, Alvin. You need to appoint a "public information officer" for all inquiries.

If there's more than one DBA on the team, its proper to appoint somebody as the "spokesperson", who is not driving the troubleshooting. This prevents the person handling the incident from getting distracted with a myriad of questions. It also ensures timely, structured updates of status.
Post #1443957
Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 9:40 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:30 AM
very good information :-

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/08/sql-server-dba-interview-qa-part-answers/
Post #1444489
Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 4:39 PM

SSC-Dedicated

DevDB (4/19/2013)

http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2012/08/sql-server-dba-interview-qa-part-answers/

I love some of those questions. One of my favorites is...

9. I’m a manager, and you’re my Senior DBA. Explain to me why we shouldn’t switch to MySQL or Oracle.

You can switch to one of those, no problem. Give me about a month's notice when you plan to start so I can sharpen up my resume.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Post #1444638
Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 4:42 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:51 PM
Jeff Moden (4/19/2013)
DevDB (4/19/2013)

I love some of those questions. One of my favorites is...

9. I’m a manager, and you’re my Senior DBA. Explain to me why we shouldn’t switch to MySQL or Oracle.

You can switch to one of those, no problem. Give me about a month's notice when you plan to start so I can sharpen up my resume.

I love that answer

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1444639
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789