Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL Server Audit Level Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
SSMS is not a free tool. It's the tool built by MS and designed to connect to and manage SQL Server. It's installed as part of the client tools, and may or may not be set up on your server.

However, when you connect to an instance with SSMS, it reads data from the system tables, the file system, and the registry on that server to determine how SQL Server is being run or is configured.

You should be using SSMS to administer your servers, not the registry.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #698715
Posted Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:10 AM
Thanks for all those who tried to help me out.

I guess we are going away from the topic. I have SQL Server Management Studio on all of the servers and I'm using it to administer the DB's. I guess you are referring Mangement Studio as SSMS? Is that right?

I will keep you posted once I see any difference with reg entries / sql server logs once I change it to 'Successful and Failed Logins'. Still I am not able to understand my current settings.

Thanks,

Philip.
Post #698732
Posted Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:23 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
SSMS is SQL Server Management Studio. That's correct.

I think the confusion is that SSMS should be the source for verifying how things are set. Not necessarily the registry as you might not get the correct key matched to the correct setting.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #698753
Posted Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:49 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:00 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this thread was returned by Google when I was looking at getting the same information, and I have something to add to assist anyone else stumbling across this tread looking to read the AuditLevel via script.

Use xp_instance_regread instead of xp_regread when looking for info in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer branch of the registry, it will sub in the correct instance syntax.

DECLARE @AuditLevel int

EXEC master..xp_instance_regread
@rootkey='HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
@key='SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer',
@value_name='AuditLevel',
@value=@AuditLevel OUTPUT

SELECT @AuditLevel

Post #1271346
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse