Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Worst Practice - Bad Connection Strings and Bad Info in Sysprocesses Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 11, 2005 11:58 AM
My only complaint is that I needed you to write this article about a year ago!

Oh well, such is life.

Post #41606
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003 7:40 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:17 AM
I've always used the very minimum connection string in my applications, but I ran into the exact problem Andy was talking about -- I had an older version running and had to find it by trial and error. I will definitely be putting the extra info in all my future projects.

Joe Johnson

Joe Johnson
NETDIO,LLC.
Post #41607
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003 7:57 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:28 AM
I've always given thought on how this could be done, but never followed through. This is definately going into our best practices documentation!
Are there any other nifty things (clues) that can be added to the connection string that would show up in sysprocesses?

Brian McCool

Post #41608
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003 8:56 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 1:18 AM
Hi there,

the following came right in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q313295

Thought I'd share it

Cheers,
Frank

--
Frank Kalis
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/
Post #41609
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003 8:57 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:27 AM
Not that I've thought of, but you could really stick any bit of data there that might help you troubleshoot. MDAC version? Client OS? Though you could log that stuff elsewhere, if something like that helps you run down a problem, try it.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #41610
Posted Friday, August 1, 2003 11:24 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 8:04 AM
Having often filled the role of developer in an organization, I find it somewhat offensive that you claim someone is a victim of a "baaaaad developer." If an organization is sophisticated enough to have a dba who monitors database activity from multiple applications, that organization should also have a clearly defined process around how to connect to their databases.
Requirements of a project should include such information. The developer implements what is asked in those requirements.

Post #41611
Posted Saturday, August 2, 2003 9:43 AM
SSCertifiable

Not trying to be offensive, though I think its semi-accepted practice for DBA's to complain about developers and vice versa. I'd like to think you're right that in large shops this would be part of the ground rules, not so sure. In any case, my hope is to get people to add it to their base requirements even if they are a 1-2 developer operation.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #41612
Posted Monday, August 4, 2003 1:32 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:22 AM
Not coming from a VB development shop, we use strictly Delphi, I am not familiar with defing the connection like that. You can do it Delphi but there is no reason to. I have noticed however when our research department pulls data into Access.
This has never been a issue for us as we have several .udl files on our file server that the application reads it's connection info from at startup. This allows us to switch SQL Servers rapidly. If one server went down all I have to do is switch the connection properties in the .udl file and everyone is then using a backup server. This came in handy when we upgraded our server this spring.

Ross

Post #41613
Posted Monday, August 4, 2003 4:17 PM
SSCertifiable

UDL's are ok, as are DSN's for that matter, both exist to let you easily edit connection strings. The downside is that they aren't secure if you're using a sql login/password. But that is another discussion!

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #41614
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2003 2:51 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, April 30, 2010 12:41 PM
Very helpful article. I may have missed this in the thread, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get the workstation id from within an MS Access app?

Thanks

Post #41615
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse