Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Add Styles to Your Reporting Services Reports Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:09 AM
This is a good approach but I think that taking the styles into a stored proc or data base for that matter and then using them in the report is a better option. That way the maintenance become much more easier because you just have to alter the SP rather than opening each report in BIDS and changing it. :)
Post #664986
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:25 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:29 PM
Hey, this is great stuff! I eagerly await the articles on using an external stylesheet and also using styles values stored in the DB.

Thank you so much for these ideas!
Post #665055
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 2, 2010 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I applied it to an RDL template I created and saved. One other drawback however is that you can't visibly see the colors from the layout view...which when you have a lot going on in a layout can be confusing (you always have to preview to ensure you have everything. I'll continue working with this for my borders colors and styles which, in my world, are more cumbersome.
Post #665075
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 30, 2013 11:43 AM
I find that it works better to put my key/value pairs into a resx file and then reference the resource key to get the desired colour. This way it's easier to manage your styles and they can be properly localized. Defining your colours in code seems kind of awkward.
Post #665142
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:23 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:15 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind doing it. It would allow report authors to choose the method that suits them better. I will send you a draft when I am ready.

Boyan Penev
Post #665322
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:01 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, May 11, 2009 5:26 PM
e.j.egan (2/26/2009)
One other drawback however is that you can't visibly see the colors from the layout view...which when you have a lot going on in a layout can be confusing (you always have to preview to ensure you have everything.

I began using the styling-stored-in-database approach about a year ago, but for the reason mentioned here I dropped it shortly after. While you're designing a report, if you've got font names, sizes, colours, etc. being pulled from a dataset using expressions, all you have on screen in Layout mode is a generic-looking template, which doesn't give you a true sense of the way a page full of content will be laid out when viewed.

However I still like to have company logos stored in a database and rendered in my report headers from a dataset.

Anyway, I like where you're going with this, Adam, and will look forward to reading more.

David
Post #665444
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:04 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, October 28, 2013 10:28 AM
Excellent article Adam! Looking forward to the other installments.

On a side note though I am amazed that you actually like working with Reporting Services. Before using RS, I was developing reports using Crystal Reports XI and I still feel that tool is way better and more user-friendly. Or maybe I haven't exploited Reporting Services enough yet ...
Post #665460
Posted Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:52 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 29, 2011 4:14 AM
Instead of writing function/s in multiple reports (code window). We can make an external dll file (assembly) using one of the .NET language and can use that assembly in the report.
Start adding attributes method whenever required. Which makes this assembly a utility having almost frequently used attributes covered in it.
Post #665491
Posted Friday, February 27, 2009 4:55 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Friday, January 31, 2014 8:28 AM
Have anybody tried out to modify the templates from the wizard?

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Business Intelligence Wizards\Reports\Styles\en\StyleTemplates.xml

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ProjectItems\ReportProject\Report.rdl

If found this here
http://beacspeak.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!69043F34B6D40843!125.entry

I've been trying to create a new template with the "company colours and styles" or just modify one of the existing, but all i got when i select the template modified in the wizard is an exception error of the xml
Post #665608
Posted Friday, February 27, 2009 5:02 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:48 AM
I discuss templates in the third article in this series, which should be published in a couple of weeks.

I had no trouble getting templates to work, though - and never saw this error!
Post #665612
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse