Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:51 AM
I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #661214
Posted Friday, February 20, 2009 10:10 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 6:30 AM
Grant Fritchey (2/20/2009)
I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

My blog: SQL Soldier
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Principal DBA: Outerwall, Inc.
Also available for consulting: SQL DBA Master
Post #661481
Posted Friday, February 20, 2009 10:42 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:51 AM
Robert Davis (2/20/2009)

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I thought it was very much directed at better ways to get things done, one dba to another. Seems like a pretty valid point, but I could be wrong.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #661517
Posted Friday, February 20, 2009 11:38 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:17 AM
I need a bigger staff of technical editors.

MCITP, Database Administrator
A hodgepodge of Information Technology and Life
LinkedIn Profile
My Twitter
Post #661576
Posted Friday, February 20, 2009 11:57 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:20 PM
Or I do!!!!!

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #661595
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:05 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:27 PM
Thanks Jason, great article!!!
I like the tiddlywiki, tks man.

Emiliano.
Post #662191
Posted Sunday, February 22, 2009 9:52 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:17 AM
you are very welcome Emiliano.

MCITP, Database Administrator
A hodgepodge of Information Technology and Life
LinkedIn Profile
My Twitter
Post #662202
Posted Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:11 AM
Another super useful tool (and wow, wiki integration would just make it perfect) is mind mapping software. A good one is a commercial product called OpenMind2 by MatchWare, but the price is perfect for foss FreeMind which does it all minus a little Office integration.
Post #664680
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse