Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How can I document reports (RDL) files? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:42 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 27, 2009 5:10 AM
Hi,

Is there any way to document RDL files to get information like Report name, data source, parameters and other information?

Regards - JL
Post #643956
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:31 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:19 PM
Hi...:)

I think...you can retreive information frm an RDL file using Reporting Service Web Service and concerned methods....

Please try creating an object for the same and access the desired information...u need...

Thanks,

Niraj
Post #643970
Posted Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:45 PM
Hey Jitendra...did you find anything regarding documenting rdl files?....I am also looking for the same....if you've got ur answer please share it.....it will be really helpful....thanks
Post #827628
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:25 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:32 PM
Have you thought of querying the ReportServer database?

look in dbo.Catalog & dbo.DataSource for the info you need.

D
Post #828299
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:36 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Actually reportserver wont give me all the information I need. I want the report description, parameters used in that, drill through links etc....and all of this informations I have to dig from rdl file itself.
Post #828309
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:01 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 7:32 PM
I can find the description of all my reports in SSRS 2005 via dbo.Catalog.Description
Params can be extracted from the parameters column.

Another option is an SSIS package or some powershell to find other attributes by looking through rds files.

Post #828337
Posted Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:21 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Yes , you are right about catalog table....I can use that for name, description, parameters.....but my requirements for documenting rdl also needs drill thtough links, datasource, dataset fields ......

I have tried building SSIS package but rdl files has some namespace problem, so I was not able to use XML source using plain xml from rdl files and xml schema provided by microsoft.....It returned me errors saying namespace issue....

So now I am trying to write Xquery that returns me elements and attributes i need so i can store them in database and use that. But the problem i m facing is to get the specific level for the elements in the huge rdl file. for ex. I have 4 drill through link in one report, all are in different data regions so the element level is different for each of them. ...and I am also new with xquery...

Powershell is totaly new thing for me.....so if you can point me to some good sites/articles that explains either powershell to do this kind of stuff or ssis package or xquery....anything will work for me to get this done....thanks in advance...
Post #828383
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 3:45 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, May 27, 2010 1:31 PM
not sure if you are asking the same thing. Report server maintains a server log and it can be queried

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159110.aspx
Post #828738
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 7:08 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Not exactly...I need the information from rdl file ...execution log gives inforamtion about report executions....thanks for the reply though...
Post #828873
Posted Friday, December 4, 2009 10:55 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:09 AM
Here are the steps:

1. Go to Report on Report Manager

2. Click "Show Details"

3. Click "Properties" of the report you need to Export

4. Under "Report Definition", click on "Edit".

You will be able to either "Open" or "Save" the RDL file.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool
Post #829111
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse