Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««3031323334»»»

Image is Everything Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 7:19 AM
getting back to the topic at hand - for those of us more interested in Ave Maria (Rudy Galindo's 1997 figure skating routine which won him the US Mens Championship - and later the bronze at Worlds) than Hail Mary...

I worked for 6 months on a contract at Sprint, during the last months of a CEO who was a holdout from an earlier time
in conservative Overland Park Kansas there was no Friday casual
the men in the testing monitor department (believe me, the people there were highly skilled in Oracle - and API's and networking) so on Friday in warmer weather they wore Hawaiian shirts
Post #637994
Posted Friday, January 23, 2009 7:50 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
Steve,

Sorry I am so far behind on my reading, but the t-shirt question is a good tie-in (no pun intended, unfortunately) for another question. Have you ever fixed the water damage, appears to me as water damage anyway, in the wall behind you?

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #642474
Posted Friday, February 13, 2009 1:21 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:15 PM
I've been in IT for 25 years and worked at a lot of different place; both full time and contracted. Over those years, I've come to 2 conclusions:

1) IT managers who require a tie are generally (not always) trying to compensate for their lack of technical expertise. (i.e. I can't tell you to rebuild an index because I don't know what an index is, but I damn sure know what a tie is, so wear one!)

2) I'll wear what ever they tell me to as long as the paychecks keep coming. If they tell me to wear a tie, the paycheck better be big.

I met a contractor once that based his fee strictly on dress code. He got $300/hr. on one gig for wearing a 3 piece suit.

Post #656959
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 3:19 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:22 AM
I shall use this opportunity to post the famed Bursledon Consultants Dress Code. It's so quaint, I love to re-read it occasionally!

For me I would avoid a gig requiring full suit and tie these days, except on particular assignments etc. I do however have a different wardrobe for work - I am comfortable in a short sleeved shirt and 'smarter than jeans' legwear, although it is not required for my office and my boss often wears jeans.
Post #1508375
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 3:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 8:11 AM
Although we all would like it if the way we do our work is the only thing that counts, research shows this isn't true. If your first impression isn't good, you will not get the chance to prove you can do the job. Having said that, I must admit that I, also, am not a suits person. I once worked for a company where suits were demanded, so I complied.

At the moment I am working for the same employer for more than 10 years. People know they can rely on my work, so it doesn't really matter how I show up. Sometimes, when I am in a silly mood, I wear a long sleeved shirt, tie, and a suit. More often I wear jeans and a T-shirt. In summer, I show up in a sleeveless shirt and shorts. More often than not, I didn't shave for the last three days. As long as I take showers regularly and wear clean, untorn clothes, my boss and coworkers do not mind.

On the other hand, when I have to teach T-SQL to customers, I dress up. I will not cut off my pony tail, though. My wife would kill me if I did that. My boss objects to my pony tail; every know and then, customers are shocked that I have a pony tail, but that is where I draw the line.
Post #1508383
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 6:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:03 AM
Image is everything for sure, from how you dress, to how you conduct yourself in a business environment. But, I relate suit and tie work to salesmen and bankers who want to look the part. All else is irrelevant. I too will not be comfortable playing dress up for work daily, it's as if the main focus of the company is what you wear vs. "Wow, you solved all these problems..!" yes, neat is important, but dressy, blah.. PS. Most developers sit behind a computer all day and rarely move...
Post #1508432
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 10:09 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
I wear jeans and a nice clean shirt with a collar. I met three weeks back with a lawyer representing a requestor in a Public Disclosure Request and I wore jeans and a blue oxford. I was dressed better then they were.

When I present locally I wear the same clothes I wear in the office, jeans and shirt with collar. When I present nationally I wear Kakis and blue oxford. I have presented to an audience with folks from both nations and tribes, and I did not wear a suit, neither did most of them.

Did I appear technically inadequate? I have been asked back, have severed on local, statewide, and national technical groups and no one, let me repeat no one has said one word about my jeans.

And to the point of being a business expert, I was considered for an honorary degree in one of the fields where I developed applications, and I have been instrumental in rewriting and reengineering business practices as the applied science of IT has been applied. And God forbid, it was done mostly while wearing jeans.

It is not what you wear, but what you are and do that matters.

And one last word to the major blather contained on this thread. The general idea of one line of reasoning is that if you dress well and attend to understanding the business you might be able to move into sales, HR, or another area of the business. What a joke! Dress well so I can leave IT and sell shoes? I have been there and done that and I am IT now and will stay that way by choice. I have no ambition to become a highly political schmuck dressed fit to kill who puts up a false front that he is not capable of living up to.

I am what I am by the grace of God, and I work in the area I am skilled in. I wear what I wear, if you do not like it I will work in another place and make them more successful then you are. I do not work for narrow-minded pinheads!

Apologies for the Friday Rant...

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1508517
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 11:38 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 9:38 AM
The only times I am ever asked to wear khakis or slacks is when important clients are in the office being given a tour or something. In those instances management want to sell that image of professionalism to non-technical folks who equate professionalism to business attire. To an outsider, I can see how that might make an impact. If you're dressed up then it reduces the chance that the client will have a negative reaction based on what you're wearing alone. It's the old thought that if a person is dressed casually then they might take your business casually and not as a priority too. Or that if you don't take the time to dress up more for work than you do in your leisure time then you aren't that serious about your work.

Of course, as we all know, developers could be sitting there in suits surfing Facebook or writing horrible code but "gee" do they look sharp!

Post #1508550
Posted Friday, October 25, 2013 8:42 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 12:21 PM
I didn't read all 32 pages, but when I was hired at my current company we were a subsidiary HQ, SW development, and support desk. Our sister company upstairs was more along the main line of business for our Fortune 250 parent company.

So it was suit and tie for the interview. When signing the HR docs I was in polo and khakis and the AVP there made a comment since I was hired in at a higher level try and dress that way all the time. That was in November so over the winter I did collared shirts and jeans. The rest of the support and dev teams were jeans and t-shirts. So when spring came I decided to "strike" back and started buying Hawaiian shirts. Since then during the warmer months it is Hawaiian shirts and jeans. Colder months are long sleeve collared and jeans.

By the time the warm months came, no one cared what I wore. They knew I could make their job easier. Since then I am the go to guy for just about any issue. They don't care what I'm wearing.

As a former British boss said to me: He didn't care if I showed up wearing cowboy boots and a kerchief around my pecker, just do the job the way I already am. Once you show competence and skill it no longer really matters.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1508633
Posted Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:41 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:02 PM
I commented on this thread when it was originally posted and the discussion got ugly. High quality business casual clothes almost scream competent IT professional. Advising anyone new to the industry to wear anything else is a mistake.
Post #1508678
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««3031323334»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse