Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SQL Server 2008 and Data Compression Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:17 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:29 PM
The only problem with that is that in a real world scenario everyone will get different results. Depending upon the datatypes that you use, the free space in your pages and the like you will get differing amounts of compression and different performance gains/losses.

Everyone needs to run their own evaluation, however it would be great to have a location where folks could put their real world examples (such as prior space utilization, prior performance, schemas, new utilization, new performance and a calculation of how much compression has improved (or degraded) their performance).

From a community perspective that could really help folks make a slightly more informed decision prior to going through the work involved in testing it all out.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net
Post #632682
Posted Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:23 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:04 PM
I blogged about this, and thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is stuck in production on SQL 2005 (vardecimal option for financial databases), or who has SQL 2008:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/hugo/archive/2009/01/03/sql-2008-row-and-page-compression-or-sql-2005-post-sp2-vardecimal-conversion.aspx

Town of Mount Royal, QC
514 812 5087 (txt also)
hugo@intellabase.com (msn im also)
Post #633080
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:02 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:25 AM
does this compression methodology play nicely with TDE?
Post #633428
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:16 AM

SSCrazy

It's invisible to TDE.

Post #633455
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:39 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:00 AM
We have a warehouse database that is normally around 400gigs which compresses down to 80gigs with row level compression. Performance of queries varies widely depending on the disk io needed to satisfy the query. I do have one very disk io intensive query that normally runs in 2 minutes, but now runs in 1 minute. Cutting the time in half is very impressive. Both compressed and uncompressed databases are on the same server running under the same sql server instance. The server is one HP loaned us to do some testing with. It is their latest DL580 with 24 intel cores and 32 gigs of ram and is blazing fast.

Something interesting I noticed, but have not had a chance to dig into is that once the data is cached in memory and the same queries ran a second time, the performance seems to take about 20% longer for the compressed database. Seems odd since I am pretty sure data in cache does not get compressed. Both data and indexes are using row level compression. I haven’t had a chance to look at optimization plans yet to see if they are different.

Post #633496
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:45 AM

SSCrazy

richcoulson (1/9/2009)
We have a warehouse database that is normally around 400gigs which compresses down to 80gigs with row level compression. Performance of queries varies widely depending on the disk io needed to satisfy the query. I do have one very disk io intensive query that normally runs in 2 minutes, but now runs in 1 minute. Cutting the time in half is very impressive. Both compressed and uncompressed databases are on the same server running under the same sql server instance. The server is one HP loaned us to do some testing with. It is their latest DL580 with 24 intel cores and 32 gigs of ram and is blazing fast.

Something interesting I noticed, but have not had a chance to dig into is that once the data is cached in memory and the same queries ran a second time, the performance seems to take about 20% longer for the compressed database. Seems odd since I am pretty sure data in cache does not get compressed. Both data and indexes are using row level compression. I haven’t had a chance to look at optimization plans yet to see if they are different.

Can I just say...wow...that's a lot of compression. Have you looked at page level yet?

Post #633502
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:49 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:02 AM
I thought that data was compressed in memory for read aheads, but once it needed to be compared to something else it was uncompressed.

That's great compression, but it is strange that those queries are taking longer. I might call PSS and make sure there's no bug here. Or you might gather some more info, post a question here or the MS forums and I'll ping someone at MS.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #633508
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 8:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

No, haven't tried page level yet. Our redgate compressed backups went down from 40gigs to 24gigs for the compressed database. Compression is going to be huge for us as we look for more sever consolidation. With more processors being available on servers now, we seem to be more and more disk constrained, which should be lessened with compression. We also have to population pilot and test database every night, which will now be quicker with smaller backups.

Post #633509
Posted Friday, January 9, 2009 9:09 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Just to clarify, the 20% increase is compared to the same cached query of the non-compressed database.

Times:
non-compressed first run 2 minutes, second run 11 seconds
compressed first run 1 minute, second run 14 seconds

I run dbcc freeproccache and dbcc dropcleanbuffers before each first run. The above times are consistantly recreated.

I have seen other queries with similar results for the cached runs. Keep in mind my testing has not been extensive and has only been with a handfull of queries that have been poor performers. We have to give our demo server back to hp, so today will be my last day of testing. We will be setting up a permanant test server in the next few weeks, so we will be able to resume further testing. Steve, if there are any stats such as statistics io you want now, I can send them to you. We do have Microsoft dedicate support engineer we can bring in as well once we get our permanent test server up.

Post #633538
Posted Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:54 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 8:42 AM
Thanks for the article! There are a lot of misconceptions about compression out there and you will never know if it's right for you, until you evaluate, test, evaluate, test, etc. The script provided with the article will go a long way towards simplifying this process for me!

Post #634466
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse