Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Alone Time Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:01 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, October 2, 2009 6:43 AM
The biggest problem I had was getting my family to understand that even though I was at home I had to work.

Different wife and older kids helped resolve that.

Now I love working from home. Especially on mild rainy days when I can open the patio door, close the screen, and listen to the rain. My productivity goes up about 500%.
Post #617056
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:12 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:28 AM
You are right working from home is a separate issue from working in different time zones. The only connection is that if you have a dispersed work force, you are more likely to have to deal with time zone issues.

An interesting question is how to manage a multiple timezone and work-at-home work group. If the manager's style is to micro-manage then they will have a great deal of frustration in keeping track of everybody. If the manager's style is results oriented/laissez-faire, it works very well.

Mark
Post #617071
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:42 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:30 AM
Speaking of impacts on productivity... I am unsubscribing to this thread and just checking it later today ;)

It seems to be a good excuse this morning to stop what i am doing.

I especially like the upgrading to wife and family 2.0
Post #617099
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:30 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 10:22 AM
My first real database development job (dBase III+) I worked in the office 11-7, took lunch around 3pm. It was really great, no rush hour traffic, even in winter with Xmas shopping. The two hours a day with no interruptions and silence was absolutely wonderful!

Then came the day that they wanted to turn me back into a word processing clerk and I walked.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
Post #617159
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:12 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, November 2, 2009 8:46 AM
At one of my former jobs in southern California we had a situation where a top-notch software engineer wanted to quit and return to his home in Australia. The powers that be talked him into being a part-time, well-paid consultant, and it really worked well. We would explain the problem we were having and email him the code by the afternoon of our work day, and usually by the time we returned the next morning the answer would be sitting in our mailbox.
Post #617208
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:59 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:08 PM
Working at home as a contract consultant for many years, I found my effectiveness had ebbs and flows. But this is also true working on-site at work. I definitely liked being home for lunch every day, and already being home when it was time to quit. Such is not my current situation, as I go to a different office a couple days a week. That office is especially grateful, so working from home doesn't work out as much on this job. I also don't have the same at-home office environment I once had. Children have taken over the space(s) once occupied by my former office equipment. It is now all piled up in storage.

Heh. Life.
Post #617249
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:16 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, March 27, 2009 7:26 AM
I find that my productivity goes up a LOT when I am not interrrupted from work. I share an office right now, and although I really like my office-mate, when she isn't here, the distractions are fewer and I get to work much more deeply.

At one point, I tried to close the door to my office and wrote 'Come In' on a post-it note on the door. I was told that the office is not a closed-door environment and I wasn't to close the door. I talked about working from home and was told that when people say that they are working from home, they are not really working at all.

I have told people that I am busy, and they generally go away. But I don't want to seem like a grouch. Especially to the person sharing my office.

I think that alone time promotes productivity - and so does the larger distance between me and my micromanaging bosses. :D

Mia

I have come to the conclusion that the top man has one principle responsibility: to provide an atmosphere in which creative mavericks can do useful work.
-- David M. Ogilvy
Post #617261
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:15 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, December 8, 2014 6:44 AM
Robert Hermsen (12/10/2008)
I especially like the upgrading to wife and family 2.0

I agree, that shows real committment to his work!

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #617304
Posted Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:59 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:36 AM
Or other issues.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #617431
Posted Thursday, December 11, 2008 2:47 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:10 AM
On days I've worked from home my productivity goes way up.

Unfortunately, the company I currently work for, although great in many respects, takes the view that working from home is perk and won't allow it to be done regularly.

I'm still trying to convince them that when I say I'm working from home, I really am working from home.

Derek
Post #617687
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse