Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Initialize Secondary Database Tab Log Shipping Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:39 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:59 AM
Hi,

I am trying to setup Log Shipping on SQL server 2005 with the secondary database initialized option. That is the third option in the Initialize Secondary Database Tab.

In this case, the backup job on the primary server is not being created.

Please suggest.

TIA
Post #612662
Posted Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:34 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:28 PM
Are you setting up log shipping on the primary server or secondary server when you do this?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #612900
Posted Wednesday, December 3, 2008 10:47 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

I am trying to setup log shipping on primary server.

Actually the backup job was created on a second atempt and it started taking transaction log backups (.trn files) after I first initially copied a Full Backup of the primary Database to the folder where the Backup_Job is supposed to take transactional backups to. I took the backup manually using script.

Please explain this option of having the secondary database already initialized.

TIA
Post #613407
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 7:13 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 PM
what that means is the wizard expects you to have already restored the databse on the secondary in norecovery mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #613666
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:11 AM
Valued Member

Exactly.

Can you please tell me the queries that I should use to verify that the Transaction Log of the recent changes has been applied to the Secondary Server.

That is to bring the Secondary Database online assuming the Backup Folder on the Primary Server is still available, and we have access to the .trn files.

Thanks.
Post #613804
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:34 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 PM
skyw (12/4/2008)
Exactly.

Can you please tell me the queries that I should use to verify that the Transaction Log of the recent changes has been applied to the Secondary Server.

check the history of the lsrestore job or check the SQL errorlog to see last tranlog applied

That is to bring the Secondary Database online assuming the Backup Folder on the Primary Server is still available, and we have access to the .trn files.

when all logs avaialble to you have been restored, run this command to bring database online

restore database dbname with recovery

Only do this if you are failing over though, once database bought online you cannot restore any more transaction log backups.

you may also need to synch your users at this point if they are orphaned (see sp_change_users_login)

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #613852
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse