Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Server Browser Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, November 24, 2008 11:51 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Browser

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #608106
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:28 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:05 PM
The link provided in the answer states, "When SQL Server clients request SQL Server resources, the client network library sends a UDP message to the server using port 1434. SQL Server Browser responds with the TCP/IP port or named pipe of the requested instance. The network library on the client application then completes the connection by sending a request to the server using the port or named pipe of the desired instance."

Does this not contradict the reported explanation?
Post #608336
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:31 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 9:31 AM

I was just about to make the same point. It seems that Conecting via TCP/IP should be correct also?
Post #608338
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:38 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:44 AM
Agreed, I third the motion… ;)

Regards,

Joe Burdette
hanesbrands.com
Post #608346
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:47 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:45 AM
I'll be the fourth then :P
Post #608355
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:54 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
Aaa I am late . But I agree with it, I was talking to Microsoft Engineer on recent course. Because every book tells me to turn of Browser service as it is not required. So I ask him why the heck Microsoft made it if most people recommend it to disable it.

After talking, it turned out the Browser service is required if you use a non-standard port for SQL Server. If you a non-standard port, and you have the browser service turned off, then you did have to enter the port information into the connection properties.

:).

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
Post #608362
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:01 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Perhaps things are mis-worded, but I think the answer is fine.

Connecting via IP and port would be connecting to my local server as 127.0.0.1, 1433

That would not use the Browser service. If I connected via SJONES, then the Browser would return the IP and port to my client, which would then connect.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #608433
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:24 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 9:31 AM

OK, I understand what you are saying. If my client connects by specifying the IP and Port then it would not use or need the Browser Service. Thanks for the explanation.
Post #608463
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:51 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:45 AM
Clear. Thanks for your explanation. I'm always having difficulties with semantics
Post #608502
Posted Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:55 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 9:39 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (11/25/2008)
Perhaps things are mis-worded, but I think the answer is fine.

Connecting via IP and port would be connecting to my local server as 127.0.0.1, 1433

That would not use the Browser service. If I connected via SJONES, then the Browser would return the IP and port to my client, which would then connect.

I just read it again, I agree. Its one of those Microsoft certification questions, its sounds like but not quite what the question was asking heh. I guess if the option was "provide ip/port information", then it would be a correct option.

---

Mohit K. Gupta, MCITP: Database Administrator (2005), My Blog, Twitter: @SQLCAN.
Microsoft FTE - SQL Server PFE

* Some time its the search that counts, not the finding...
* I didn't think so, but if I was wrong, I was wrong. I'd rather do something, and make a mistake than be frightened and be doing nothing.

How to ask for help .. Read Best Practices here.
Post #608507
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse