Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

The backup data at the end of "path\backup" is incorrectly formatted Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 7:54 AM
Hey all,

At a loss here ... my backups against this particular instance have been running great for almost a year, and as of this last week, I am continually failing every night with the same error:

Msg 3266, Sev 16, State 1, Line 2 : The backup data at the end of "path\backup" is incorrectly formatted. Backup sets on the media might be damaged and unusable. To determine the backup sets on the media, use RESTORE HEADERONLY. To determine the usability of the backup sets, run RESTORE VERIFYONLY. If all of the backup sets are incomplete, reformat the media using BACKUP WITH FORMAT, which destroys all the backup sets. [SQLSTATE 42000]
Msg 3013, Sev 16, State 1, Line 2 : BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000]

I come in and resolve the issue by taking a new backup with format, run an additional test backup which works fine ... but then come my nightly scheduled backups, this happens yet again. Unsure what is causing this to continually happen.

Thanks

---
SQLSlayer
Making SQL do what we want it to do.

Post #597271
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 6:48 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:59 AM
Hi Adam,

Because it is usually a problem with the media as such, did you try to do what the message tells you to do ? (obviously I don't know how your handle you backups so you might need to do copy things else where first).

There is more information in "Error message when you perform a database backup to disk or tape or a database restore from disk or tape: "3266," "3013"", http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290787.

HTH!

/Elisabeth

elisabeth@sqlserverland.com
MCITP | MCT
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/elisabeth_redei/
http://linkedin.com/in/elisabethredei
Post #597297
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:10 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Saturday, December 20, 2014 3:11 PM
Are you backing up to disk or tape?

Are you using devices or files?

Do you go to the same set every day? (not recommended)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #597325
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:14 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Backing up to disk. Not using devices. I overwrite the same file everyday (soon to change actually).

---
SQLSlayer

Post #597328
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:03 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

I would try a new file. You might have some bad blocks in there. The disk should handle it, but using the same file might cause issues. Have you tried deleting the file completely and then doing the format?

Post #597369
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:23 AM

Ten Centuries

That I have ... I removed the file yesterday and created a new backup manually, worked like a champ. Then the nightly blew up.

I repeated the same process today, but I'm also running a defrag on the drive for S&G's ...

---
SQLSlayer

Post #597461
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Very strange. Can you set this up on a 2nd drive and see if the schedule works?

If you run the schedule now (if you can), does it fail?

Post #597470
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Yeah that was my test yesterday and this morning ... I was able to back it up to another location without problem. I've never seen such odd behavior ... especially repetitive.

---
SQLSlayer

Post #597475
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:50 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 7:59 AM
Hi Adam,

I am sorry if you already informed us but I didn't get it but did you try to redirect the SCHEDULED job to another disk?

/Elisabeth

elisabeth@sqlserverland.com
MCITP | MCT
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/elisabeth_redei/
http://linkedin.com/in/elisabethredei
Post #597491
Posted Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Yes, I have pointed it at another location which worked just fine after doing a manual backup with format.

---
SQLSlayer

Post #597497
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse