Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Is It Worth Upgrading to SQL Server 2008 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 21, 2011 10:44 AM
I agree that they really over weighted the new features to the Enterprise Edition. I think it's silly to expect me (or anyone) to pay 10 times the prices for EE vs SE just to get compression. If MySql had decent developer tools and a clear future I'd probably bail on Microsoft. If they want to keep getting my money maybe they'll throw me a few bones because MySql will probably get its act together soon.
Post #589076
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:11 AM
One big item the author missed was SQL 2008 Filestream. Instead of filling your DB with images, etc... you can use FileStream to map these images through the DB. They can live on a file system instead of in your DB. Apparently this functionality has existed in Oracle and Microsoft has finally caught on. This is especially useful for web-based DB's where you can reference all kind of backend files.

There seems to be a debate about whether filling your DB with things like images is a good idea. Just because you can put all kinds of stuff in your DB, is it a good idea?

http://blogs.msdn.com/pedram/archive/2007/06/04/store-any-data-in-sql-server-2008-katmai.aspx
Post #589083
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:09 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 12:02 PM
Good article ! I guess I did not realize all of those goodie features in SQL 2008 were in Enterprise Edition. Yikes ! Your article was an eye opener. I guess I never really thought about it in the way you presented it. We have mostly SQL 2000 here, just a few SQL 2005 because we cannot justify moving to SQL 2005 with 2008 now out.

Post #589087
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:19 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:55 AM
We use Litespeed for SQL Server for backups and I was hoping to see those features included with SQL 2008 Standard (e.g. backup compression/encryption). I also hope to see the old "disable foreign key" feature return to the data copy wizard. As of now, I don't see any reason to upgrade from 2005 Standard to 2008 Standard.
Post #589091
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:43 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:42 PM
The most compelling reason of all to upgrade is if it makes business sense. If a software product uses it or there are some features that make your organization more efficient and more profitable, then upgrade. We are running a combination of SQL Server 2000 & 2005 primarily because the critical business software runs on them. When the software running on 2000 upgrades to 2005/2008, we will upgrade.
Post #589102
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:57 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, September 1, 2014 7:36 PM
wow, It's a bad notice, I heard in a conference that the strategy of Microsoft is release a new product version each 3 years and release service pack each year.
Post #589111
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:00 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 7:40 AM
Another reason to upgrade is Microsoft support of virtual datacentres. If you are running on Windows Server 2008 & SQL Server 2008 and you need support from Microsoft then they will give full support to your virtual environment. (Hyper V or VMware) Currently, they may ask you to recreate the problem in a physical environment before they will get involved.
Post #589112
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:06 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 2:06 PM
We have a 2005 cluster, and two standalone 2005 boxes for reporting, as well as a few 2000 boxes. All are enterprise version. The 2005 boxes do not seem to have a really compelling reason to upgrade at this time; however, the 2000 boxes were slated for upgrade to 2005. At this point, we're looking to leapfrog and go straight to 2008 next year...I'm sure that'll be just in time for the next release of SQL Server - so we'll be behind the curve one more time!
Post #589116
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:42 AM
skjoldtc makes a good point. Having a blanket policy on which version thorughout the organisation isn't good. If an application can deliver better ROI by upgrading then it's winner.
Post #589119
Posted Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:50 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:56 PM
Good article and with versions coming every 3 years, they're close enough that I'm not sure you gain anything from having forklift upgrades of all servers. Kilmanjaro, the next version or partial version is slated for the first half of 2010, which is really only 18 months!

I'm sure some of those features will trickle to Standard, but for now, be sure you read carefully that's not in there. Quite a few cool features are in Enterprise only. However 2008 does seem like a good product and if you use some things, like Full-text, need images (A great white paper from Paul Randal here: ) and want to try PBM, it's worth considering.

I also wouldn't upgrade to 2005 right now. I'd go directly to 2008, and push vendors to certify it ASAP. With the versions coming quicker, I wouldn't be surprised to see the support policy drop to 6 years for mainstream versions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #589135
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse