Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Encrypting Data With the Encrypt Function Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, August 19, 2013 12:07 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight/encryptfunction.asp

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Post #578
Posted Sunday, July 15, 2001 11:01 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 02, 2004 12:00 AM
Encrypt function in T-SQL is fine what about Decryption of encrytion columns.
kindly tell us how to do it!

Post #20034
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 7:23 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

quote:

Encrypt function in T-SQL is fine what about Decryption of encrytion columns.
kindly tell us how to do it!

As I mentioned in the article, the only way to decrypt is with a comparion techinque with a WHERE clause. That's why if you would like to use a more advanced encryption/decryption system, you may have to resort to COM. Les Smith will be having some excellent articles coming out this week and next about how to use this.

Brian Knight
bknight@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

Brian Knight
Post #20035
Posted Thursday, July 19, 2001 11:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:31 AM
Supposing im creating a personnel database and want to store national insurance numbers etc , i want this to be encrypted in the table., But throught the client application front end , a personnel details administrator should be able to see the unencrypted data .. how would i do this ?

Santosh Benjamin

Santosh Benjamin
Post #20036
Posted Monday, July 30, 2001 12:49 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 2:15 PM
This function does not exsist in 2000.
So inless your living in the Stone age move on.

Post #20037
Posted Tuesday, July 31, 2001 10:40 AM
SSCommitted

quote:

Supposing im creating a personnel database and want to store national insurance numbers etc , i want this to be encrypted in the table., But throught the client application front end , a personnel details administrator should be able to see the unencrypted data .. how would i do this ?

Your best bet then would be to create some type of custom middle-ware that encrypts/decrypts your data. Les Smith (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/lsmith) has developed a few methods on doing this. You can use these to get ideas. You could possibly create a user defined function to do something like this as well. Possibly wrap an extended stored procedure into it to encrypt/decrypt it.

Brian Knight
bknight@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bknight

Brian Knight
Post #20039
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2001 3:49 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:06 AM
I'm suprised noone has mentioned xp_crypt :-

http://www.vtc.ru/~andrey/xp_crypt/

Post #20040
Posted Tuesday, August 07, 2001 8:18 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, August 29, 2002 12:00 AM
Now that's a cool tool. Frebbie's not too bad, and $98.00 for the full version seems a fair price for someone who needs this functionality! Are you connected with the author?

Post #20041
Posted Thursday, August 09, 2001 10:36 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:06 AM
quote:

Are you connected with the author?

No, in fact I haven't even tried using it myself yet. I cant even remember when I found it, but have keep a bookmark to it, I'm sure it will come in usefull one day.

Post #20042
Posted Wednesday, September 12, 2001 3:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 15, 2013 6:22 PM

I have little doubt about this. Though data is encrypted, that can be read easily.
If I inserted data like 'app' with encryption, that is shown as 'a[Odd Char]p[Odd Char]p[Odd Char]'.
I highly appreciate your reply.

Post #20043
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse