Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Generate a SQL Server Instance Inventory Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:15 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, February 07, 2014 11:44 AM
Thanks for your article and follow up - very helpful to me as a new DBA.
I did have some issues importing my text file re. truncation and "characters not recognized in the code base".

Did anyone else experience this issue? I can give more specifics as needed.

Thanks,
Nick
Post #630755
Posted Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:41 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:22 AM
Hi Sakthivel -

I was able to get the sqlinv file per your attachment in this post (which I think might actually be an RDL file per your screenshot, and not a DLL file as you indicate in your article??) but then in the next step for creating the report, you mention a "inventory.rds.txt" file that you probably meant to include but didn't. So we need this as well in order to try your process. Thank you --- please either post it here or email me at jfordbos@yahoo.com. Very much appreciated! - James
Post #721765
Posted Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:51 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:17 PM
Hi,
Refer to 8th post in http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic563572-1307-1.aspx for download the missing attachments...

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc
Post #721831
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 4:38 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Sorry, but I must be blind, because I've looked throughout this thread very carefully for the INVENTORY.RDS.TXT file that you reference in step 6 or your article and it is nowhere to be found.

You did provide the SQLINV.RDL file (not DLL --- there are no DLL's anywhere in this process as far as I can tell) as attachment SQLINV.TXT (to be renamed .RDL for using it in Step 5). I have that, and that worked fine...

I just need the missing INVENTORY.RDS.TXT that is to be saved/renamed INVENTORY.RDS once SQL instance name is edited.

Please help with that missing INVENTORY.RDS.TXT file. Thank you!
Post #723677
Posted Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:06 PM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:17 PM
Hi James,
It's me who is blind.. I guess i overlooked the attachments... The file you are looking for is datasource which you can create manually to the SQL Server where inventory data is stored. Retain "Inventory.rds" as the name... I don't have a copy of it now, I will upload after 12 hrs from now...

Regards,
Sakthi
My Blog -> http://www.sqlserverdba.co.cc
Post #723754
Posted Wednesday, May 27, 2009 9:25 AM
Forum Newbie

Thank you --- I will look forward to receiving the file, else if you tell me (and others) how to create it (if it's not too difficult, especially for myself---a known SQL DBA wannabe! ha!), then we can just go that route. Either way, it's appreciated. Thanks again.
Post #724246
Posted Friday, May 21, 2010 4:38 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 08, 2013 12:29 PM
Hello Sakthi. In line with the last post, where is the RDL? Please advise. Thanks.
Post #926324
Posted Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:00 PM
Hi There,

I worked on a similar solution to collect Windows and SQL Server inventory by gathering scripts from SQL Family and released it as a free tool at crazydba.com. The tool uses powershell to grab data from all servers and stores it in SQL tables and can be viewed using SSRS reports.
Post #1559642
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse