Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Cloning Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 10:58 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Cloning

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #523002
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 6:23 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, January 6, 2012 2:39 PM
Creating a clone is legal, but it is not as "Free" as this question implies.

From MS..http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/faq.mspx

For Standard, Workgroup, and Enterprise, if you decide to license on a per processor basis, you must buy a SQL Server license for each virtual processor. For Enterprise Edition, you can also choose to license all physical processors in a box. This gives you rights to run SQL Server on unlimited number of virtual processors running on the same machine. For Server/CAL mode, for Standard and Workgroup, you must obtain SQL Server licenses for each Virtual Operating System Environment on which you run instances of SQL Server. However, for Enterprise, if you have a Server license for the physical Server, you may run unlimited instances of SQL Server in any Virtual Operating System Environment that you run on that same machine.

If you are using hardware partitioning on a multi-processor server, you get unlimited virtualization for SQL Server Enterprise Edition as long as all processors in that hardware partition are licensed. For example, if you have a hard partition of 10 physical processors on a 32-processor superdome server, 10 processor licenses of SQL Server 2005 give you rights to run free unlimited virtual machines with SQL Server on those 10 physical processors.

As I understand all this, if you have less than 16 instances (EE is unlimited) and all CPU's are licensed you can run a clone ON THE SAME MACHINE for "Free".

However, just creating an empty db clone does not mean that you get SS for free on another system to test the DB.

If I am wrong about this, I would like some explanation.
Post #523208
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:11 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
Why not just throw it on to a Developer instance?

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #523270
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:18 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 6, 2009 1:29 PM
How many shops don't have a development or testing server to clone it to?
Post #523283
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:25 AM

SSC Eights!

Steven Cameron (6/25/2008)
How many shops don't have a development or testing server to clone it to?

How much is SQL Server Developer Edition? $150.00? Something like that. Doesn't have to run on a server either. If they don't have it, then they must not know about it?

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #523293
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:04 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:42 AM
Tom Garth (6/25/2008)
[quote]Steven Cameron (6/25/2008)

How much is SQL Server Developer Edition? $150.00? Something like that. Doesn't have to run on a server either. If they don't have it, then they must not know about it?

Knock $100 off that price

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=913871

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Post #523369
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:11 AM
SSC Eights!

I agree with all points. The developer instance is the way to go. However, the fact that the question was stated as "Creating a clone is not legal" implies that the opposite is true (given that is false).

Cloning applies to the database and of course that is legal.

I was just trying to make it clear that although it is ok to clone or copy a DB, it still has to be attached to a LEGAL instance. It isn't the DB's that are licensed, but instead the INSTANCE is licensed.

The question as all of these should do, brings to light lesser known features of SS.
Post #523383
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:15 AM

SSC Eights!

"Creating a clone is not legal"

I could be wrong, but I took that to be a tongue-in-cheek reference to our current political policies.

;)

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

Post #523391
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:44 AM
SSC Eights!

Tom Garth (6/25/2008)
"Creating a clone is not legal"

I could be wrong, but I took that to be a tongue-in-cheek reference to our current political policies.

;)

Obviously, but apparently I am the only one who perceived something from the question that no one else did.
Post #523436
Posted Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:29 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, January 8, 2009 1:32 AM
I first thought a "clone" was a 1-to-1 copy of all the data, so I chose the third answer...
Well, if you had a big database, having to copy it as a whole didn't sound so efficient.
Even if you took a snapshot it wouldn't be so easy if you have much activity... and besides all I'm not sure I could create new SPs and change things around without touching the original db...

Anyway I realized that "cloning" has a different meaning here, so my answer was clearly wrong.. at least I learned something new (also) today :D
Have a nice day!
Post #523580
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse