Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Who Built This Thing? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:30 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who Built This Thing?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #503267
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:39 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:57 AM
I'm sure a few minutes of my time could come up with several suggestions for how to make SQL Server more user-friendly (at least for me), but I'll never spend those minutes, because I don't care about those deficiencies. SQL Server works. It does what I expect of it, reliably and consistently, and that's all that really matters to me. And for that reason, I believe SQL Server to be the single highest quality product to which Microsoft have ever put their name.

I'm not going to worry about detail when the fundamentals are (IMHO) right.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #503353
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 2:42 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, May 12, 2014 12:57 PM
"There are definitely times that I think the people that build the system stored procedures and other code we can see don't really work with SQL Server. It seems that best practices aren't followed and things aren't even well coded."

Agree with this comment but please realize that many of the system stored procedures are identical to those from in the 1993 Sybase version and probably are from earlier versions. A lot has changed in the area of RDBMSs in the last 15 years.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language
Post #503378
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 4:12 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 6:10 AM
I agree with Steve, especially when he talks about the MS Team and said they are like us. They too are humans and they are into teams that work with a passion to build a world class product. In my personal use of MS products, I have found that whatever you need to do, they have already thought about it and included it somehow or given us a means to do it. When I code, I always have the user of my product in mind and IMHO MS teams do too. MS, Keep up the good work.:)
Edward.
Post #503426
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 6:12 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:51 AM
I'll rate this as one of your better posts. Sharing an epiphany is worth doing. How about going back and looking at other "features" to see if you see hidden value in some of them?

Most businesses at the mercy of sales/marketing. Not all bad, but could use a little improvement too. It takes a lot of work to get a seat at that table in order to make a difference, and the process of getting there doesn't have much to do with coding ability - so not many of us try.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #503541
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 7:45 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:08 AM
I am feeling very charitable toward SQL Server right now. It's a great product!

Yesterday, I had to assist another developer in writing queries for MS Access, interpreting its useless error messages, figuring out that "statement must be updateable query" meant that it didn't allow any subqueries in an update statement, and, to top it all off, practicing the black magic of placing enough parentheses in the FROM clause so it wouldn't scream syntax error.

When you think about how bad it could be... SQL Server is a great product!
Post #503661
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:27 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:30 AM
The hard part about seeing value in features is having a place where they can be used. This is where I think the developers and designers of SQL Server need to come up with, and publish, lots of use cases and examples of where things can be used.

Not that you have to have 14 cases to build the feature, but the more ideas you can publish, or that others can share, the more people will see value (or see them as not needed if you publish failures).

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #503814
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
Stephanie Giovannini (5/20/2008)
I am feeling very charitable toward SQL Server right now. It's a great product!

Yesterday, I had to assist another developer in writing queries for MS Access, interpreting its useless error messages, figuring out that "statement must be updateable query" meant that it didn't allow any subqueries in an update statement, and, to top it all off, practicing the black magic of placing enough parentheses in the FROM clause so it wouldn't scream syntax error.

When you think about how bad it could be... SQL Server is a great product!

If you're down on MS Access, you should try a REAL "winner".... Say - Lotus Approach:) You'll be begging for the computing power, and ease of use of MSAccess in, oh - 2 hours (including the installation time)....

But I agree - I think SQL Server is very well put together all in all. Sure, there are some rather "interesting" choices that make us all jump through hoops, but that's what we have to do to earn our keep on a daily basis...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #503841
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 10:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 3:14 PM
Hey Steve, I didn't know you knew Jesus.

Praise be to our Lord and Savior!

God bless you brother! ;)
Post #503865
Posted Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:03 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:40 PM
I concur that overall SQL Server is an excellent tool and one that is a large part of how I make my living, and I am glad to know passionate people are working hard to improve it.

It would still be nice to see more of the normal best practices followed within SQL Server itself though.

---
Timothy A Wiseman
SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/
Post #503934
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse