Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Restore database from network drive Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:09 PM
ansz5 (8/1/2008)
I am trying to restore a database on SQL Server 2005, using the backup placed on a different server ( in same domain). I have shared the folder and tried the same with sharing the complete drive too.

The account, I am using, has been granted full permisisons... but still when I type the complete path ( in file name test box), the message says..the database engine cannot find the specified path or the account does not have access to it. Should the server(with shared folder) have SQL Server installed on it..???

Also what should be the computer name here - "\\ComputerName\Shared folder\Backup\abc.Bak" I used the local computer name (in case of mapped drive) and the other server name in case of shared folder.

Pls advise.

Thanks !!!

Does the account running SQL Server have access to the share? If the account is not a domain account, then you cannot get access to the shared folder.

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #544873
Posted Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:53 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, September 6, 2010 1:37 PM
Try restoring the database using the following query:

restore database "dbname"
from disk = 'Servername\sharedlocation\db.bak'

servername - This is not the local server name, it is the servername where the backup files are located.

or else to do it through GUI:

Know the exact shared location, you can type the servername(\\servername) in the "run" and that would autoamtically display all the shared locations on the server to which your account has access. From there navigate to the correct location and use it in the restore path.

The other server need not have SQL installed on it. Its just storing the backup files.
Post #548011
Posted Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:09 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:12 PM
Hi !

Thank you every one for all you replies and suggetsions,

The problem had been resolved , I could not post it here on the forum.

I used the command net use on command prompt to find out exact name (UNC) name of the shared drives and used this complete name in the File name text box of locate backup window , while restoring the backup.

It worked.

Thanks again !

Best Regards,
ansz5
Post #548016
Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 11:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:17 AM
I have similar issue as the last user. I try to restore a db from a db backup file on another server. I use the full UNC name as \\sourcecomputer\shre drive\testdb.bak in the file name. Got the same erorr. I wonder if someone can confirm if itworks for them. My account I use has full admin priv on both servers.
Post #549441
Posted Monday, August 11, 2008 1:36 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:12 PM
May I know , if you are using a shared folder or you have a network drive mapped on your server ?

If its a network drive mapped, then pls use 'net use' command on command prompt to fetch the complete name for the drive.

I faced the same problem but when I fetched the name this way, it worked.
Please refer to my previous reply for steps.

Hope it helps.

Rgds,
ansz5
Post #550061
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:17 AM
Hey guys,

Thanks for all your comments. It works for me now. My issue is even though I have a local logical drive map to the targer server's shared drive, and net use shows that the UNC name. The restore still failed to locate the bakcup file. The run cmd showed that I have no access to the shared drive. So, one I fix that, it works . Thanks guys.
Post #552096
Posted Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:08 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, February 3, 2014 3:47 PM
Be careful how you grant your permissions, there is share permissions, and there is ntfs permissions. I got this problem some day because I forgot share permissions.
Post #586159
Posted Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:57 AM
I am facing same issue. Can anyone help me ?

Sandeep Lad
Post #683200
Posted Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:49 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 6:40 AM
I did not want to create a new post, so I am bumping this sort of old topic...

I am trying to determine what would be better to restore a larger (96GB) database from a remote server as far as I/O on the production server.

The backup file is located on the production server and I want to restore into a test box. My two options are:

1. Copy the bak file to the test server and restore locally

2. Restore using an UNC path

Which would have the least impact on the Prod server (where the bak file is located)?

I am new to the DBA field and want to make the best decision possible.

Thanks for any help
Post #728194
Posted Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 5:31 AM
I would copy the bak file over and restore locally - I doubt there is much difference in the new traffic to do this once - but it means you can restore the bak multiple times to the test box without further load. Copying the bak over the network will saturate the lan connection on the prod box - making all other clients slower - so if it is an option I would recommend copying to e.g. a USB drive on the server then walking that to the test box ... watch out for USB weirdnes though - if you test box is similar config make sure the drive works on that OK before plugging into prod

James Horsley
Workflow Consulting Limited
Post #728213
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse