Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

How to restore master database in a SQL Server 2005 Cluster Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:40 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:30 PM
Hi Tracey,
I am not sure if that was for me or not. But I am not restoring I am moving files. thats what I want to do to move files. I think that if I restore master in cluster with differnt file location it should work as alternative for moving master database file seperately. I use QA instead of sqlcmd

Umar Iqbal
Post #579319
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 12:54 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:04 PM
So all your data files (master, model ) are DISK F
You are moving these to DISK G

So when you do this and bring up SQL it still looks at DISK F

Did the DISK G get added as a dependancy on the cluster and i guess it is how do you
change the path of Cluster to go to DISK G instead of DISKF

Sorry never done wish i could be of more use.
Post #579326
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:03 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Does this help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295732

I am thinking you need to add the dependancy first..leaving other disk off line.
Post #579335
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:04 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Tracey,
yes thats exactly what I am doing . yes both drives are in dependecy and I can see them. I am changing the master data and log file location from surface area configuration. I tried chaging it from registry also. its a virtual server so When i start sql back from command prompt on node 1 i can see that master database files are on new disk but when i start it from cluster admin it show me old disk location. Somewhere. Somehow cluster admin is not taking the changin i am making when i start star sql from command prompt. i am not sure but i thnk if i take a back of master and restore it with different location "new one" and bring cluster up will it show me new location or it will do the same thing as move system file is doing.

Umar Iqbal
Post #579336
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:06 PM
Right there with Babe

Hmmm it got to be in the Cluster part itself as it going to wrong disk - now i wonder where this is set up.

Can i suggest you do not turn on the OLD DISK and see what happens.
Post #579337
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:20 PM
Right there with Babe

Something in here may help.
http://choosing-a-blog-url-sucks.blogspot.com/2007/11/sql-server-2005-fail-over-cluster.html

Gosh now im curious.

Got to get my team to build me a test cluster so you can do this kind of thing every now and again.

Let me know what you find out.
Post #579341
Posted Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:21 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:59 PM
IF the disk where you are moving the Master database is iunder SQL Server Dependency and you have properly given path in surface configration with -d and -l parameter and removed the old parameters , then bring the SQl server offine from Cluster adminstartor and moved both mdf and ldf for master database to new location and then bring the Server online , there should be no problem as i usually follow the above procedure for cluster and haven't see any problem .
Post #579342
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:24 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks Tracey and Nary,

Ok this is just did . Just to make sure its not disk thing issue. I tried moving it from one directory to another directory in the same disk instead of other disk. But I get the same issue.
Again the problem is that in sql 2005 64 bit cluster chanigng the master database location file directory to other directory on same disk or other disk not working. you can see it new path when you login to node and start sql in single user mode after changing the parameter eith in surface area configuration or registry but when you turn off this instace and start from cluster admin. you see old path when you run sp_helpdb against master.
Tracey,
i dd not try removing files from original location i just copy them to new location. I am sure that if i did remove them from original location server would start when i start it from cluster admin since it looks for master files in old direction.

Umar Iqbal
Post #579634
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2008 8:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:43 PM
check this article.
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/63568/
It explains in details how to move db files.
Post #579668
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:45 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi Info_s,
Moving database is not problem . but in 2005 64 bit cluster it give error. please read the initial thread

Umar Iqbal
Post #579898
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse