Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Virtualization for Database Development Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:34 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Virtualization for Database Development

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #481301
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:47 AM
Thank you for sharing your struggles ...

Especially the fact that despite the warnings we give, people confirm them not to be a problem (again and again) until they are actually confronted with these warnings and then hell breaks out.

I'm no longer feeling alone

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #481330
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:35 AM

SSCoach

The thing is, I think we could have made it work. But the expectations were so unrealistic that while we had functionality, we didn't have perfection. Sans perfections, they pulled the plug. After a while I got some of the feeling that Cassandra must have had when dealing with the Greeks.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #481429
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:46 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:47 AM
Did they pull the plug only for the virtualisation part or for the full ad-hoc regression test infrastructure(s) ?

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #481440
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:57 AM

SSCoach

Just for the virtualizations. We already do resets from production as a part of our QA testing. We were just hoping to incorporate a similar process into an automated development methodology. No joy.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #481447
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:34 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:56 AM
Thank you for the interesting article! I'm just starting to try and get real virtualization going as a development environment and have run into similar issues, too. Since we're still "trying out" utilizing VMs to develop and test things, we also are working against a very limited budget. I.e., VMware Server (free), old retired server hardware (CPU, RAM, and disk storage definitely limit what all we can do), and then trying to get everyone on the same page.

It would be nice if there was a better (free) way to manage everything, too....as we don't have the resources now to go with one of the relatively expensive management tools.

Either way, it's a good learning experience and we're starting to see how powerful it can be. Thanks for the idea of versioning the VMs with source code software, too!
Post #481526
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 9:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 7, 2013 8:46 AM
What were the key factors make to choose virtualized OS (VMware) vs. virtualized SQL (instance)? VMware will introduce some perform overhead, as well as extra admin effort. On the other hand, if using SQL instance, to deploy a standard SQL instance could be a easy routine process.
Post #481633
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:30 AM

SSCoach

Yu Yang (4/8/2008)
What were the key factors make to choose virtualized OS (VMware) vs. virtualized SQL (instance)? VMware will introduce some perform overhead, as well as extra admin effort. On the other hand, if using SQL instance, to deploy a standard SQL instance could be a easy routine process.

The virtual systems represented complete application environments, not just databases and database servers. The trick was to keep all the servers integrated with a particular version of the functioning software including the database code and the servers, BizTalk, client code, etc. Talking about deploying any one database or creating new instances for deploying databases is easy. The hard part was coordinating that process with all the other servers. The parts that we got to work, worked well because everything, all code, moved together. Does that make it a bit more clear?

The Scary DBA
and

Post #481724
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 10:47 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:03 PM
Grant,

Sorry to hear of your experience with VMware. I recently helped delploy VMware in production. The company had nearly 50 physical SQL Servers, almost all use SQL Enterprise version and under utilized. Two big SQL2000 Servers were in a Active/passive Cluster.

We elliminated the need for all Enterprise versions and clustering by employing VMware. We greatly reduced the amount of hardware and expensive liscensing of the Enterprise version (much was not really needed). VMware will spin up a new SQL box if a hardware failure occurs on another.

Patrick.
Post #481731
Posted Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:17 AM

SSCoach

It was basically functional. The key issues, apart from deployment issues & some performance, were around how we could manage the virtual versions of AD. It apparently wasn't surmountable.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #481749
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse