Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

How to view transaction log for SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:23 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:01 AM
Nevermind, I found it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Struggling to find the question?
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
Post #769240
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:31 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 5:05 PM
WilliamB (8/12/2009)
Nevermind, I found it...

What did you find? Details please, someone else may have the same question.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #769250
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:35 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:19 AM
WilliamB (8/12/2009)
Similar problem here, I need to find out if the database logs will indicate that a database has been recovered and I need to show the log as proof to business.

If you're looking for info on whether a database has been restored from backup, that info should be in the SQL error log, not the transaction log.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #769256
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:39 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:01 AM
Okay, for those who would like to get the info here is a step by step:

1. Open Management Studio and connect to the server you require the info from.
2. Expand the Management folder.
3. Expand the SQL Server Logs folder.
4. Double click on the log to view it (or right click on the log and select "View SQL Server Log")
5. Step 4 opens the Log File Viewer. At the top of the viewer is an option to Search. I used this option with criteria "RESTORE" and it directed me to the information I was looking for.

@Gail - I'm guessing these are the Error Logs you are talking about? I'm still a bit of noob so any info to clarify this would be great.
@Lynn - Sorry, I should have posted this first instead of just saying "I found it!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Struggling to find the question?
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
Post #769361
Posted Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:21 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:19 AM
WilliamB (8/12/2009)
@Gail - I'm guessing these are the Error Logs you are talking about? I'm still a bit of noob so any info to clarify this would be great.

Yup.

They're visible through Management Studio as you described, but they're just text files (errorlog, errorlog.1, errorlog.2, etc), so you don't have to read them through Management Studio.

p.s. Please could you in the future post new questions in new threads? Sometimes people don't look at old threads cause they think they're 'solved'

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #769403
Posted Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:23 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 2:48 AM
DBCC Log(dbname)

My Blog: http://dineshasanka.spaces.live.com/
Post #856739
Posted Sunday, January 31, 2010 6:41 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:34 PM
Note that the log is restarted when the logs are cycled or SQL is restarted. That can be a long interval, and the logs can be big. So they can be slow to open, especially if you use something like notepad/wordpad.

The viewer in SSMS is what I'd recommend.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #856899
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse