Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Could not continue scan with NOLOCK due to data movement. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 31, 2011 8:56 AM
I get the same error on a VMware machine. Can you tell me what this means? There must be a reason why VM was questioned.
Thanks!
Post #805290
Posted Monday, October 19, 2009 7:32 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:54 AM
Micheal Earl has not posted in many months.

-- RBarryYoung, (302)375-0451 blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung
Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
"Performance is our middle name."
Post #805366
Posted Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:12 PM
This post really helped me and together with the previous post from RBarry Young I was able to resolve the problem.

I was experiencing the NOLOCK error when running a select statement on a read only log shipping secondary database. The same database on the primary ran the statement with no issue. It turns out a large index had errors which I discovered when running dbcc checkdb ('DB NAME') on the secondary read only database. I ran the same statement on the production database and it had no errors. I rebuild the index on the primary production server using a maintenance plan, then manually shipped over the logs and applied them. After which the database on the secondary log shipping server started running the query properly.

I now understand NOLOCK is applied by default when running a select statement on a read only database, so removing it from the statement makes no difference.

Many thanks to all those that contributed to this post and got me out of a pickle with a very demanding customer!
Post #1551642
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse