Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Mask Password Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 5:29 AM
I am attempting to create a backend database that is to accessed by a front end web site. I have created a single table in my sql db 'dbo.Users'. One of the fields contains the users password. Currently it is stored in plain text. In access I know how to mask this but how is it achieved in SQL?
Many Thanks,
Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper
Post #469522
Posted Friday, March 14, 2008 10:39 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:01 PM
Check out Encryption:Columns in SQL Server BOL

DAB
Post #469535
Posted Friday, March 14, 2008 1:38 PM

SSChasing Mays

Thanks I will have a read.
Phil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper
Post #469670
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:09 AM

SSChasing Mays

Back again. I am running SQL 2005 on a XP Pro machine. Here is what I did:

create master key encryption by password = 'Pufd&s@))%';

create certificate cert_sk_admin with subject = 'Certificate for accessing symmetric keys - for use by admin';

create certificate cert_sk_charles with subject = 'Certificate for accessing symmetric keys - for use by Charles';

create symmetric key sk_users with algorithm = aes_192 encryption by certificate cert_sk_admin;

The above command generates an error:
Msg 15314, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Either no algorithm has been specified or the bitlength and the algorithm specified for the key are not available in this installation of Windows.

Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Phil.

Tommy Cooper
Post #469810
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2008 9:19 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 1:24 PM
I don't believe that AES is available in XP.

No one is likely to crack them. I'd use one of the shorter and quicker algorithms like RSA for the asymmetric key.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #469834
Posted Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:22 AM

SSChasing Mays

Thanks Steve, I will have a read up on asymmetric keys.
Phil

Tommy Cooper
Post #469861
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse