Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Which Type of Language Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 14, 2008 9:19 PM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Which Type of Language
Post #456116
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008 7:42 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 7:38 AM
MSDN lists the GRANT and REVOKE statments under DDL in their reference document for Microsoft Access SQL.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb177904.aspx
Post #456297
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008 10:31 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
I've never heard of DCL or TCL, but I know what GRANT isn't (regardless of what Microsoft says, so I took a guess at what DCL stood for and ended up being right (lucky).

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #456408
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008 10:38 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:42 PM
I believe by stating privileges you are further defining the definition of the data by being more specific about who or what can access that data. It is DDL!
Post #456411
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008 10:42 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
The only place I can see this mattering is whether or not it will fire off a DDL trigger. Is there any other significance to which part of the language a specific command is? (I got the answer right, but at least partially by guesswork. BOL defines "DCL" as "See Other Term: Data Control Language", and then doesn't have an entry for "Data Control Language". It doesn't seem to have "TCL".)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #456416
Posted Friday, February 15, 2008 10:43 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 4, 2011 7:20 AM
It is DDL!

I'll see your exclamation point and raise you 2.
'S NOT!!!

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #456418
Posted Monday, February 18, 2008 9:21 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 12:11 PM
The Answer is correct, Grant is a DCL Statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#Data_control

Greetings From Argentina!

Pablo

Post #456952
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:12 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:07 AM
Pablo (2/18/2008)
The Answer is correct, Grant is a DCL Statement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#Data_control

It is not wise just to trust these sites - they are writting by other people like you and me which could also be wrong - I mean: it is not right just because people say so....

I would have liked if the acronyms had the full description so I didn't have to guess what it stands for - then I could google and make up my mind about what I thought was the right answer
Post #464462
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:37 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Saturday, December 18, 2010 3:45 PM
No Qod should EVER be posted whose source is Wikapedia. If it can't be found in BOL or MSDN, it should't be a QoD. But Wikapedia? Please...
Post #552144
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse