Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Select,Update,Delete,Insert etc.. in many server using 1 query Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 2:38 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Select,Update,Delete,Insert etc.. in many server using 1 query

"-=Still Learning=-"

Lester Policarpio

Post #444768
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:52 PM
why not use replication ?
Post #1274106
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:28 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:23 PM
daniel 40017 (3/28/2012)
why not use replication ?

So how would you set up replication to send a one time query to my 50 linked servers? It must be a short efficient procedure since its a one off job.
Post #1274235
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:52 PM
The issue you presented regards an insert operation.
a query is a different thing - one might think you are referring to distributed query on multiple servers for performance.

an insert operation is generally not a one time operation and if you are adding records to a table and need to insert the same records to 50 other db's than I would use replication on that table and replicate it to all other servers. you have a built in module in sql server that does the work - why develop it yourself ?

Post #1274289
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:57 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:23 PM
daniel 40017 (3/28/2012)
The issue you presented regards an insert operation.
a query is a different thing - one might think you are referring to distributed query on multiple servers for performance.

an insert operation is generally not a one time operation and if you are adding records to a table and need to insert the same records to 50 other db's than I would use replication on that table and replicate it to all other servers. you have a built in module in sql server that does the work - why develop it yourself ?

I think it was a pretty handy little concept (I wasn't the original author), I'll probably play with his script a bit. It would be useful in my situation because I do have multiple servers, and while I may insert values into many tables on many servers, I wouldn't want the complete contents of tables replicated, and I'd also do select queries.
Post #1274317
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:11 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:29 PM
why not use POSH (Powershell) ?

easy, convenient and efficient

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HTH !
Kin
MCTS : 2005, 2008
Active SQL Server Community Contributor
Post #1274331
Posted Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:14 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:08 AM
Or, if you have all the servers in a server group in SSMS, just open a multi-server query window in SSMS and run the query once against all the servers. http://shaunjstuart.com/archive/2011/09/teaching-an-old-dog-new-tricks/
Post #1274695
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:36 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 1:09 PM
shaun.stuart (3/28/2012)
Or, if you have all the servers in a server group in SSMS, just open a multi-server query window in SSMS and run the query once against all the servers. http://shaunjstuart.com/archive/2011/09/teaching-an-old-dog-new-tricks/

This was my first thought.
Post #1275299
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse