Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

how to configure sql 2000 server allow remote access Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:11 PM
how to configure sql 2000 server allow remote access
Post #441949
Posted Friday, January 11, 2008 12:09 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:33 PM
If you are not on SP4, apply it. That may resolve your issue.
Post #441952
Posted Monday, January 14, 2008 9:03 AM
Old Hand

I think you mean sql 2000 sp4.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8e2dfc8d-c20e-4446-99a9-b7f0213f8bc5&displaylang=en

According to above link
Important: SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 is not supported on Windows NT 4.0, Windows Millennium Edition and Windows 98 platforms.
Post #442486
Posted Monday, January 14, 2008 2:23 PM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Friday, April 5, 2013 4:43 PM
Run
sp_configure

you can see "remote access"

Turn it on (set the value to 1 to enable the remote access).
Post #442694
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:12 AM
Old Hand

I used SP_CONFIGURE to check remote acces config_value is 1 realdy. so.. why I still get the error.

checked
remote access 0 1 1 1

Post #442938
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:17 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
What error are you getting?

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #442940
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:02 AM
Old Hand

it is web application.

application connect to the remote sql2000 server

http://localhost:2132/HRHSKeyContact/HRHSKeyContact.aspx?HID=1 viewable in the local machine

http://webserver(computername)/HRHSKeyContact/HRHSKeyContact.aspx?HID=1 not viewable in the local machine

I just do not understand the difference.

error msg:An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I used the vb 2.0 to access the remote sql 2000 server.
Post #442971
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:08 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 9:13 AM
I find that particular error message very misleading. I've seen it several times where the problem had nothing to do with remote access.

It could be that the server name is incorrect in the web app's connection string
It could be that the server is offline (but if you're querying it, that's not the case)
It could be incorrect password.

That error is the 2005 version of the old message
"SQL Server does not exist or access is denied"

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #442976
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008 9:25 AM
Old Hand

I do not think the error is connection string

http://localhost:2132/HRHSKeyContact/HRHSKeyContact.aspx?hid=2

it is view. it connected to remote database.

http://computername/HRHSKeyContact/HRHSKeyContact.aspx (html file)

it is viewable. web server is working.

http://computername/HRHSKeyContact/HRHSKeyContact.aspx?hid=2

it has database connection problem.

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I do not have ms sql 2005 install in that server at all.
Post #443102
Posted Wednesday, January 16, 2008 7:50 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:02 PM
If you are working with SQL Server 2005 and used the "SQL Server Surface Area Configuration" Tool ...

Start >> All Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 >> Configuration Tools >> SQL Server Surface Area Configuration >> Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections >> Remote Connections >> (default is: Local connections only)

... and make any changes, it will give a warning window that states that you will have to restart the SQL Server Service for changes to take effect. In my experience, restarting the SQL Server service has not worked. I have had to reboot the server for those changes to allow remote connections to that instance.

Note that Remote Connections are DISABLED by default, for SQL Server 2005.

Hope This Helps

"Key"
MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP
Post #443657
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse