Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Server Protocols Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server Protocols
Post #429096
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:06 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 12:33 AM
I know that these four options are listed in Configuration manager under Protocols, but I wonder in how far "shared memory" can be described as a NETWORK protocol, since it can't be used to connect to a SQL Server instance running on the same computer.

Markus Bohse
Post #429134
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:28 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, October 21, 2013 12:32 AM
This is an excerpt taken from BOL:

Shared memory is the simplest protocol to use and has no configurable settings. Because clients using the shared memory protocol can only connect to a SQL Server instance running on the same computer, it is not useful for most database activity. Use the shared memory protocol for troubleshooting when you suspect the other protocols are configured incorrectly.

Lets you connect to an instance of SQL Server that is running on the same computer. Cannot be used for access from other computers on the network.

--Ramesh

Post #429148
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:04 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Oops,
Ramesh my mistake I wanted to say exactly this, that shared memory can only be used to connect to a local instance. So it doesn't access the network. That's the point I tried to make.

Markus Bohse
Post #429159
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 5:34 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 10:28 AM
I would not call Shared Memory a network protocol. It is a protocol to access SQL Server locally, but not a protocol to access SQL Server over a network...
If it is a network protocol, what network infrastructure does it use?

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 28 July 2014: now over 30,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #429227
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 7:39 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 4, 2007 11:12 AM
I agree with other posts that shared memory is not a protocol, nor is the named pipe, these are mechanisms used for inter process communication.
The question did not specifically ask about network protocols but some of the posts implid that.
Thinking of SQL server as a database server, it is reaonable to assume that the question expects network protocols.
However, if SQL server is viewed as an application server, then it might use any protocol that the clients need to understand. Even so, I doubt that share memory qualifies as a protocol in the sense used in the industry. However this is all Microsoft stuff and I guess we have to go by what their documentation claims.
Post #429297
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 8:43 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

mallekar (12/4/2007)
IThe question did not specifically ask about network protocols but some of the posts implid that.

Sorry, but this is the question:
How many network protocols are available on SQL Server 2005?
Seems rather specific to me.

Markus Bohse
Post #429354
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 9:56 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51 AM

I guess the Question poster just went strictly by what was "written" in BOL ;)

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/sqlexprbol/html/279fe698-5107-4891-b669-b04217ee421e.htm

But the description clearly says:

Shared Memory
Lets you connect to an instance of SQL Server that is running on the same computer. Cannot be used for access from other computers on the network

So the real answer is 3 :D

Just my $0.02

* Noel
Post #429420
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 12:54 PM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:05 PM
I've got 3 as well, for the reasons given above. Although I am not entirely convinced that named pipes is a protocol per se, but since it can be used to communicate with SQL Server over a network, I guess it comes down to the definition of network protocol (or just protocol for that matter).

Scott Duncan

MARCUS. Why dost thou laugh? It fits not with this hour.
TITUS. Why, I have not another tear to shed;
--Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare
Post #429502
Posted Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:24 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2008 4:01 PM
When I checked BOL for the answer (yes I know I should have the answer in my head) it describes five protocols and calls them Net-Library protocols. They are

Shared Memory
Named Pipes
TCP/IP
VIA
DAC

The last one almost made me click on 5 as the answer. But closer reading showed that DAC is for sysadmin role members only.

The question could have been better worded to say how many Net-Library protocols are available to use. The answer would then be five.

Tim Brimelow
Post #429551
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse