Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

URGENT Help needed Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:26 PM
Hi,

I am in a very rough situation and would like some help/advise.

My server crashed and I lost everything. Server was rebuilt and I tried to restore the .BAK file from tape. Noticed that backups were not going good as well. I found one .BAK file but when I restored it is reporting to be approx. 200Kb smaller than the size reported by windows. Backupexec restored 20785192 bytes but the size of the restored file is 20983171 bytes.

Anyway, when I try to restore .BAK file from enterprise manager system just sits there for hours. and when I check the file it is reporting as corrupt/incomplete.

Can anyone suggest any way to get data out of this file?

It is a really bad situation. I will be calling MS tomorrow but any suggestions are welcome.
Post #425130
Posted Friday, November 23, 2007 12:03 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?

If you have a SQL 2005 server around (even if its just a desktop) try out the RESTORE DATABASE ... WITH CONTINUE_AFTER_ERROR

It's new functionality in SQL 2005 that allows a partial restore of a corrupt backup. You won't have everything, but you'll probably have more than you do now.

If that succeeds, bcp the data out and script out what objects you can

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #425149
Posted Friday, November 23, 2007 9:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. I will give it a shot right now
Post #425307
Posted Friday, November 23, 2007 9:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Will a trial version work?
Post #425309
Posted Friday, November 23, 2007 10:53 AM
Forum Newbie

Oh, I forgot to mention that yesterday I used force restore and I manage to recover MDB and LDB files but I got some messages like bypassing recovery etc. around 90%. I have the MDB and LDB files but I cannot connect to the database
Post #425329
Posted Saturday, November 24, 2007 5:38 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Is that on SQL 2000 or SQL 2005?

What's the state of the database? (suspect, recovering, offline, ...?)

There may be a way, but just so that you can copy the data out. Won't fix it.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Post #425410
Posted Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:52 PM
Forum Newbie

It is SQL 2000

I managed to bring the database in Emergency mode and have started to recover the data table by table by transfering the data.

Some tables are not transferring over as they are corrupt but I am trying my best to get whatever I can.

I am not sure if I can recover damaged tables or not? Any Ideas?
Post #425472
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:59 AM

SSC-Forever

Probably not. What errors are you getting when trying to select from the tables?

If it were a corrupt DB, there might be a chance or reading the pages raw and decoding them by hand. Is really time consuming and requires a great deal of experience. Since the backup that you restored was corrupt, the data probably isn't there at all.

What did MS's product support say?

Gail Shaw

Post #425500
Posted Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:34 PM
Forum Newbie

I managed to recover almost all of the 243 tables except for 8. These 8 tables have a lof of images and I am having difficulty restoring those.

I called microsoft on Fri and opened a case but have not heard back from anyone yet.
Post #425528
Posted Monday, November 26, 2007 4:57 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:46 AM
I take it you don't have any previous backups (to the one you're currently using) that might have these 8 tables on it?

There are some disk recovery services that might be able to pull the data you need from the server's old hard drive, but I don't know what the cost would be. Look in your local yellow pages under Data Recovery or Computer-Service & Repair.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #425664
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse