Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

TTYL Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:49 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 11:17 AM
Working for a government contractor I have come to believe that the abbreviations, acronyms, jargon is a mechanism for some to hide what they do. Least you the outsider understand and come to the conclusion that they do as little as possible, taking as long as possible. Saying this another way is to say they are highly paid and contribute little or nothing to our knowledge or society.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #424065
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:54 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 9:18 AM
Check www.acronymfinder.com

Under certain circumstances abbreviations and jargon are acceptable (where everyone in the audience is familiar with them) but they are used far too often with mixed groups, and such use can be rude.

"If you can't explain it in plain English, then you don't understand it yourself"

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #424070
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:59 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:09 AM
We always used bitbucket with a slightly different meaning. It was usually in reference to some important piece of data, now lost and not retrievable, having gone to 'the great bitbucket in the sky'. However, I AM old enough to know what LUN 0 is, so I've learned something.

------------
Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson
Post #424075
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:05 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:49 AM
majorbloodnock (11/20/2007)
How about this one?

P.S. Glossary specific to the editorial, as requested. Apologies for including most of the obvious ones.

OMG - Oh My God
DB - Suspect I might not need to do that one ;)

Thank you for that very comprehensive list - I will now consider myself in the ranks of the informed..:)

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #424082
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:24 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:58 AM
I've been playing online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) sinve Everquest came out in March of 1999. Lots of people there use acronyms all the time, or shorthand. Sometimes you have to, i.e. when you have a bad fight on your hand ;) But even there I strive to write proper English as everyone can understand it (although capitilization becomes difficult at times....).

Guess I will never be cool either! And I'm ok with that!

Some of those though, like FUBAR, has been around a lot longer than computers. At least my dad said it was commonly used around the planes he flew even back in the 50s ;)
Post #424092
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:45 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 6:37 PM
Guess the spell checker didn't help with my acronyms. I had to look a few up to write the editorial and I mis-spelled (Does that make sense?) them.

Acronyms make sense and are useful in places. Especially non-work environments, but I'm not sure that we should pile on acronyms when we're discussing something with co-workers.

Which is something I hear teenagers doing.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #424114
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:51 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, June 15, 2009 3:23 PM
Anders Pedersen (11/20/2007)
I've been playing online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) sinve Everquest came out in March of 1999. Lots of people there use acronyms all the time, or shorthand. Sometimes you have to, i.e. when you have a bad fight on your hand ;) But even there I strive to write proper English as everyone can understand it (although capitilization becomes difficult at times....).

Guess I will never be cool either! And I'm ok with that!

Some of those though, like FUBAR, has been around a lot longer than computers. At least my dad said it was commonly used around the planes he flew even back in the 50s ;)

Good to see another gamer here :) I definitely agree that there are times where you have to use the acronyms. But there definitely is a time where they shouldn't be used. It makes me cringe to see kids these days thinking that using lol, rofl, and other acronyms is fine in writing. What ever happened to proper grammar and spelling out words? Or are they now teaching acronyms as the way to go?
Post #424120
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:03 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:53 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)
Guess the spell checker didn't help with my acronyms. I had to look a few up to write the editorial and I mis-spelled (Does that make sense?) them.

...and because of it your kudos has risen, not fallen.

Acronyms make sense and are useful in places. Especially non-work environments, but I'm not sure that we should pile on acronyms when we're discussing something with co-workers.

Which is something I hear teenagers doing.

And I think that can be summed up simply as, "choose your language to suit your audience" - a useful and sensible skill to employ.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #424131
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:30 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:49 AM
[quote]Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)

And I think that can be summed up simply as, "choose your language to suit your audience" - a useful and sensible skill to employ.

Except when you have a "mixed bag" and you don't know whether to be couth and uncool or uncouth and cool..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #424155
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:42 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:53 AM
sushila (11/20/2007)
[quote]Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)

Except when you have a "mixed bag" and you don't know whether to be couth and uncool or uncouth and cool..

Opting for eloquent smut works for me .

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #424165
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse