Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Monitoring on a Budget Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:02 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:29 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Monitoring on a Budget

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

Post #423370
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 3:47 AM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:41 AM
This is a nice write-up. I know a few folks who could use this. On a related note, how are you moitoring the performance counters outside of SQL Server, such as CPU usage, pages/sec, etc.? Or are you strictly concentrating on SQL Server?

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #423485
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 5:52 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

To be quite honest, I hadn't thought of monitoring counters outside of SQL Server. You've sparked my interest.

We did add code to track disk space when we were trying to justify additional SAN space. The overall process is the same; simply capture today's disk utilization and subtract yesterday's from it to get a daily increase/decrease.

Take care,

Bert

"Speculations? I know nothing about speculations. I'm resting on certainties. I know that my Redeemer lives, and because He lives, I shall live also." - Michael Faraday

Post #423539
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 9:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:29 PM
That calls for a part 2, Bert!
:D

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #423688
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 10:21 AM

SSCommitted

You're right. I really need to spend some time converting this over to SQL 2005 and expanding it beyond SQL Server.

Take care,

Bert

Post #423738
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 10:23 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, January 03, 2011 9:45 AM
That looks very nice BUT where is that Excel spreadsheet then? ;)

It would be really nice if you posted here also so we can have a look at final product...

And to be honest I am not very good and Excel and all that graphs stuff so it would be rather nice to see how you're doing the whole "thing"

Cheers
Post #423739
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 10:40 AM

SSCommitted

I debated putting the Excel spreadsheet in the article. Ultimately, I decided not to since, once the raw data is in a table, you can present in pretty much any format you choose. I'm not very good with Excel either, but give me a few days, and after the holiday, I can post a "How I did it with Excel" follow up. I've also been working with a SQL 2005 equivalent. The internals are pretty much the same, but the presentation has much more potential with SSRS and SSAS...Perhaps another followup article?

This was my first stab at technical writing. I've already learned a great deal from your responses, thank you! I'll definitely try to be more detailed in the future.

Take care,

Bert

Post #423751
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 8:50 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:00 AM
I thought you can't query temp table as source in Transform Data task as stated here
[url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa215269(SQL.80).aspx][/url]

When using temporary tables in the Transform Data task, the Data Driven Query task, or the Execute SQL task in DTS Designer, be aware that you cannot use a Transact-SQL statement or stored procedure that calls a temp table as your source.

Post #423875
Posted Monday, November 19, 2007 9:03 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:00 AM
I mean at source tab in the Transform Data Task for DB Stats monitoring with the TSQL:

select * from tempdb.dbo.DayDBStat
Post #423876
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:27 AM

SSCommitted

Perhaps that restriction pertains to a #TEMP table? All I know is the DTS works as coded.

Take care,

Bert

Post #424006
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse