Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Log Shipping Hardware needs Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:32 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:35 AM
I am making an assumption based on a small bit of research on the subject. My goal is to set up log shipping not necessarily for failover but in the case of a localized disaster (say a fire in the server room) that my data is somewhere safe. At this point in time we are not requiring 99% uptime. I should not need a beefy piece of hardware equal to my production server because there are no active transactions occurring. I should be able to get away with a smaller server, correct?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answer.
Post #416731
Posted Friday, November 2, 2007 12:51 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:18 AM
Hi,

You use whatever size server you require, but please ensure you have ample storage space on both servers and a reliable network connection between the servers for log shipping.

In addition, make sure you have a solid backup plan based on your required Recovery Time and Recovery Point Objectives.

Thanks,
Phillip Cox
Post #417785
Posted Friday, November 2, 2007 12:57 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:25 AM
Also if your LS is used in DR planning see to that its able to handle the load until you get back the primary server back.

Cheers,
Sugeshkumar Rajendran
SQL Server MVP
http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com
Post #417789
Posted Friday, November 23, 2007 3:19 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:53 AM
Nick,

We use logshipping for similar purposes, i.e. as an extra backup and also we use for some reporting needs.

Our secondary server is not the same spec as the primary box but it will have to accomadate your production database in terms of size and future growth. Also if you plan on using it in DR terms the secondary server will need to handle at some of your production load.

Gethyn Ellis

gethynellis.com
Post #425205
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse