Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Who wants to be a SQL Server DBA? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who wants to be a SQL Server DBA?
Post #410689
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 1:42 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 7, 2014 11:11 PM
I potentially see a true DBA person should have atleast 2+ years of SQL programming experience (either worked on Client server environment/web based) application development by pro-actively helping/involving the sub-teams in building complex queries,triggers,stored procedures and witting few batch files/cursors for Data movement between the two connections before equipping themselves as a DBA.
Next as a DBA person, the individual should have knowledge about the Installation, Performance Tuning, Replication, Job-scheduling on Backup/Restore process stuff etc., Now-a-days, DBA persons not only administer the servers on the performance but also write quite few code using .Net Technology by working on SSIS,SSRS & SSAS skills to pull/push the data by another means of data transformation services so as to formulate according to their own business needs in formation of DATA.
Post #410714
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 2:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:08 AM
I am a network administrator with ten years experience. I am about to engage in self study with the goal of the MCDBA. My hesitation comes from the job requrirements ranging from two to ten years experience. Should I get the certification I see no path to employment. Guidance sought.

M. Newsome, Micrsoft Certified Professional
Post #410718
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 3:11 AM
SSCrazy

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 7, 2014 11:11 PM
What Makes you to shift from NA to DBA? You have the edge of experience on your own skill and moving on to the other area is in some other means after having these relevant expierence according to me is not advisable/taking high risk of a own.
I'll rather definitely recommend to pursue for higher certifications in the relevant field/expertise key result area and of course to have basic ideas/knowledge on the databases stuff etc., will not have much of complications.
Post #410736
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 3:53 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
I guess you're probably posting from the US, and this may be different from the UK. Most roles in the UK are handled by agencies and they will filter candidates, even if they don't know what a dba does.
It's been expressed as an opinion that the DBA is often not paid to match their skill set for a permanent role so this drives the more skilled DBA into becoming an independant ( contractor/consultant ). Having been part of the interview process for many years , normally to replace myself! it's an interesting topic.
Questions I ask are based upon what can be learned in the practical sense rather from a text book - this helps weed out those with good memories but no real practical skills/experience. Questions are largely based upon what skills the candicate claims in their cv.
There is an issue that questions must be the same to all candicates to avoid unfairness and being sued for discrimination - I've actually had candidates complain about being asked technical questions!

As I work with production systems, being a production DBA, I doubt the value of asking questions based upon CODD's rules - this is something which can be memorised and yet mean nothing - I'd be more keen for a developer to understand this , most don't.
Questions should not be subjective, so i avoid cursor questions as this is a subjective matter that's been argued to death in forums - in production support it's important to resolve problems quickly so I'd rather have a cursor solution in 2 mins rather than a convoluted non cursor solution that takes 6 hours to figure out!
My personal view of your requirements is that you're probably a bit out of touch, why would a SQL Server DBA really need perl? Sure a DBA should understand a SAN but the companies I work in have dedicated teams for infrastructure, storage, networking and so on. I can't think the last time I would have built a physical server - I'd install sql server but the actuall physcial server build is always another team- true I work blue chips - but the DBA can't be an expert in all areas outside sql server. ( I can build servers myself and have a pretty good knowledge of an o/s but I wouldn't expect a DBA to know much more than how to make sure memory was being configured correctly by the o/s e.g. switches )
The whole area of sql server is now vast and the chances of finding a candidate with high skill levels in all areas is pretty slim - it's important that the skills asked for are the skills for the job not just a chance to ask lots of impressive questions about skills and areas which probably won't be required for ther core areas of the role.

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #410746
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 3:56 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:02 AM
oh by the way I disagree about sql 6.x being harder to manage/configure - it was an absolute breeze compared to building and managing a 64 bit cluster for sql 2005

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #410747
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 6:26 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Since I was job hunting for a DBA position for the first half of this year, I can say a few things from the other side of the equation.

First, job descriptions are, for the most part, way too vague. I'm a very experienced database developer, with some DTS/SSIS experience, but the network and physical server aspects of the job have always been done by others in the work I've done. I sawa hujge number of job postings that basically said, "we need a DBA" with no details, or "Duties: Build and maintain databases, must know SQL".

Another missing thing is the actual product name to be used. I read through numerous postings that were titled something like, "SQL Server DBA Needed", and then after six paragraphs of how exciting their company is, it finally mentions that the databases are on a Sybase server (my skills are currently all MS SQL 2000/2005).

There are other issues. I got to one interview, and got grilled for 3 hours on DBCC commands and recoving crashed databases, even though I said, in the first five minutes, that in the six years I've been a DBA, I've never had to actually recover a crashed database, and that I've mainly operated through various GUIs and automatic maintenance plans instead of memorizing DBCC commands. They kept saying they were interested in my DTS experience and my developer experience, but the only question asked on that subject was one about the difference between the command flow and data flow in SSIS. The main thing I gathered from the interview was that the current DBA hadn't the faintest clue about how to put together a database that didn't crash regularly, had never heard of automatic maintenance, knew nothing at all about DTS/SSIS, and could probably have been replaced with a few scheduled jobs on the servers. He also made the comment that they didn't even know where all the database servers in the company were (this was NOT a huge enterprise, it's a 10-million a year company with one building and less than 100 employees). Needless to say, I didn't live up to their standards and they didn't live up to mine and we mutually passed on the opportunity to work together.

I also ran into a lot of, "requires college degree or equivalent work experience", and with no degree, but six years as a DBA and nearly 20 years in IT, I got a lot of replies that said, "well, you qualify in all regards, and we don't have any other candidates, but we can't hire you because you don't have a degree", or replies that were very interested until they found out I don't have a degree (it said so right on my resume, which means they didn't even read it). If you won't accept "equivalent work experience", don't post the job that way. It wastes my time and yours.

(Yes, a college degree indicates a robotic ability to pretend to be awake in class and to eat what the prof vomits up for you, but I've met far too many people with computer science degrees who had to ask basic questions, like "how do I reboot", or who thought the CPU was "Windows" [yes, I've had both of those exact issues come up with people who had actual degrees]. Over the decades, I've come to the conclusion that computer science degrees are a sign of incompetence and are more of a red flag than a positive thing.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #410788
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 6:40 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, February 16, 2009 2:53 PM
Great article, enjoyed reading it.

Now the real question in my mind:

Okay, smart-guy, how does a person get 2 years of SQL experience? You talk about a dearth of qualified applicants. Yeah degrees are great, blah blah. But then you speak of this mythical position that isn't quite a DBA but that still has something to do with SQL Server that would give an applicant the required skills. What is that?

Post #410792
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 6:57 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:20 PM
I enjoyed reading the article as I use articles like this to help me determine what SQL Server skills I am missing that I should have. I also think this article relates to the recent editorial, The General. SQL Server has become so complex that it is difficult to answer all the questions about DBCC commands, etc.. and know all about Windows clustering, RAID, etc.. The tools for SQL Server have gotten better also, so you can maintain a SQL Server without using DBCC commands directly. When I am in an interview I am upfront that there is more I don't know about SQL Server than I do know, but I know where to go to find the answers I need to a problem, whether BOL, google, or SSC. I can do the Day to tasks security, backups, restores, etc.. and in 8 years of working with SQL Server I have never had to do a point in time restore and have only once had to restore a failed server. It was a long night, but no data was lost because we had a good backup plan in place. If I were hiring a DBA, or any IT staff, the first thing I want to see is someone who know they don't know it all, but know where to go to find the answer. Just don't use QotD in the interview. Why would I know that stored procedures can accept up to 2100 parameters!

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #410801
Posted Monday, October 15, 2007 7:14 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:15 AM
Good article, but I have to take mild exception to requiring a college degree since it "shows fortitude". There are a lot of things in life which show fortitude, some of which mean you might not able to, or choose not to attend college. You could just as easily argue that it shows you had nothing but the money, support and/or time to attend college and were free of any other obligations for 4 years. If I had been able to complete my chosen degree (Mechanical Engineering) it would have given me exactly zero preparation, other than "life" skills picked up along the course of my career, for being a DBA. Just a thought.
Post #410810
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse